Used R10

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by dshinnick, Aug 22, 2007.

1. dshinnick

dshinnick Member

Jun 6, 2003

Advertisements

I found an R10 at a swap meet recently which I thought I'd pick up and add to my collection. It came with an access card. When I called Directv to have it activated the CSR said that it was still active on someone else's account and that it couldn't be transferred to me.

When I boot it up it runs fine, but there's a blue bar at the bottom telling me that I have an invalid access card (or something to that effect) and to call Directv. But if the box is still active on someone's account, and they're paying the monthly fee, why won't it run without that message? I'm not trying to mooch off someone else; I wish they would cancel the service. I'm just curious why I get the error message if it's a current subscription.

And, is there anything else I can do other than put it in my garage and call Directv once a month to see if the current owner finally realizes his/her box is gone and to stop paying for it?

Thanks for any ideas-
    Dave

2. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX

Looking at the last line, I wonder if the box is STOLEN?

3. dshinnick

dshinnick Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Yes, it sure could be. I have no evidence of that, of course. It was for sale at a swap meet and I picked it up. Even if it was stolen, you'd think the owner would realize it, notify Directv, and stop paying on it! And if it was stolen, I'd be glad to return it to the owner if he covered the shipping.

4. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    My suspicion is that the previous owner owes money on their account. Directv will not re-authorize the unit if that is the case.

5. 5&counting

5&counting New Member

Aug 19, 2007

Advertisements

My guess is, if there wasn't a balance owed, when you called saying that you had the box with the access card, they cancelled the service on it. Primarily to keep you from using it or selling it to someone else at a swap meet.

A neighbor had her's stolen once, Directv left the card active in it, someone called in and tried to start the service elsewhere Directv then notified my neighbor who in turn involved the authorities.

Don't know if they do this in every situation...

6. cowboys2002

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    That would be my next guess!

Without giving you "details", I would imagine that DTV could tell you "we can't activate that unit unless the past due balance is cleared". If the box is still subscribed on an active account, why not contact that user? Of course they wouldn't provide the new users information.

Something as simple as " We received a call to activate one of your boxes on another account, is this okay with you"?

I don't know how far DTV gets involved in stolen/missing receivers.

7. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    The unit is on someone elses account, who most probally owes money to Directv, so the access card has been disabled.

The unit is a Paperweight to you. Nothing can be done with it until the Previous Owner pays their bill to Directv.

8. dshinnick

dshinnick Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Well, if it's only $10, say, I wouldn't mind paying it. Figure Directv will let me do that?

9. cowboys2002

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    The problem is that if it wasn't your account or you can't provide the name of the account holder, DTV "should not" disclose billing account (even the amount due) with anyone other than the account holder.

10. Buttafly94

Buttafly94 New Member

May 21, 2004
    Can't you just purchase a new access card from them?

11. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Apparently not. From what others have posted, the unit itself is married to the account.

12. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    The unit is not married to the account. The Access Card is tho, and the Access card is married to the unit.

The unit has a balance owed on it, and there is no way someone else other than the Account holder can pay the Balance. If Directv gave out Account infomration, they would find themselves in Court with a Nice little lawsuit.

13. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I don't understand the thinking on DirecTV's part. Why not let the new owner start paying, using a new access card? DirecTV can still go after the old owner for the account balance. After all they most likely do know the name.

14. texan2025

texan2025 New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    I had a couple of recent experiences where I purchased a Directv DVR . One without a card and another with a card.

Case 1: The unit without a card. I called and requested a card and the tech. told me this receiver is tied to someones account and unless I could get that person to remove it from that account that Directv will not issue a card for this unit. She was very clear about this. It can't be activated and a card will not be issued.

Case 2 for me: after that I bought another used DVR and called Directv and they activated it with the card that was used by the previous owner.

Hope that is helpful to someone.

15. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    DTV is so random about that. My experiences have been:

1st used tivo: Activated as an additional unit, with the used card from another account.

2nd used tivo: Attempted activation to replace a non-dvr receiver. Was told I could not use MY card from My non-dvr receiver which I was deactivating. Had no choice but to wait for a new card in the mail.

3rd used tivo: Activated as an additional unit, using the card they previously refused to activate for the previous tivo

pattern anyone? looks random to me.

16. Speedo123

Speedo123 New Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Tampa, FL
    I'd have to agree from the variety of responses I've seen in various forums on this, that it appears to be pretty random. I picked up an S4040R and tried to activate it. I was told that I had to buy a new card for $20 as they would not activate a card from someone elses account. So I purchased the card & when it arrived, I tried to activate the account & found the unit had a bad Sat 1 input (Sat 2 worked OK). Unfortunately, the unit can not be activated if Sat 1 doesn't work. D* let me transfer this new card over to a S4080R (I had also purchased) at no charge, saying I could transfer my own cards between equipment in my own account. So, I guess it just depends on what D* rep you get when you call in. Wonder if you get the "NO" response, what might happen if you decline to purchase a card and then call back and ask the same thing to another rep???

Hmmm.....