Used Mini Losing Connection with Network

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Beachbum55, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Beachbum55

Beachbum55 Member

Jan 1, 2004

Advertisements

Hi all...I could use some help.

I'm running a Roamio Pro (Wifi) with the latest software and have one existing Tivo mini connected using a Moca network. The existing Mini is located in a guest room and has been in operation for years.

I bought a used Mini that I verified is on my Tivo account. I tried to connect it in the master bedroom. It connects temporarily, then I get the "lost Internet connection with the dog chewing on the wire" error.

I did a location test, moving my existing Mini from the guest bedroom to the master bedroom, and it connects fine to the Moca network (I can access my shows and watch live TV).

I also tried to connect the used mini that I bought to an Ethernet connection...that didn't work either.

I called Tivo and they pointed to Xfinity (complete waste of time). I'm running a Netgear Router and an Arris modem, and my router is showing the device as being "allowed."

Any ideas?

Btw - Just for kicks, I took the used mini that wouldn't connect at home to work. It connected fine via Ethernet and went through a complete update.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What specific software version number does your DVR report? 20.something, or 21.something?

Is this your only TiVo DVR on your home network?

And is the DVR really networked via Wi-Fi? (It's unrelated to your issue, but it seems odd that the Minis would be networked via MoCA but the DVR set up for a wireless connection.)

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This symptom has been seen, of late, with Minis running the newer TE4/Hydra UI (21.*) when they attempt a downgrade to the older TE3 UI (20.*). It is not an issue with the home network.

See here: A dog on blue screen ate my minis

4. Beachbum55

Beachbum55 Member

Jan 1, 2004
    The software version of my Tivo is 20.7.4b....

Yes, the only Tivo DVR is the only one in my home that's operational.

The Roamio Pro is connected to a coax cable with updates via Wi-Fi.

I tried to connect the Roamio using Moca but it wouldn't' work for me. The set-up has work with my Roamio and existing Tivo Mini, so I just never changed it.

krkaufman likes this.
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Then you’re experiencing the same “Mini TE4-to-TE3 downgrade” issue, which is a problem with TiVo’s servers, not a home network or Internet issue.

People should start sharing support ticket numbers to get TiVo focused on the issue.

6. Beachbum55

Beachbum55 Member

Jan 1, 2004
    So the software version on the used Tivo Mini that bought is 21.10.v3

My existing Tivo Mini that I have that works is running version 20.7.4b....

7. Beachbum55

Beachbum55 Member

Jan 1, 2004
    Thanks for your help on this.

I spoke to Tivo Support about the issue, but it was on a weekend and the rep was not helpful. I'll call back.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    No reason MoCA *can't* work, but (1) it would require a review of your coax setup, and (2) the current connection type has nothing to do with your "dog eating my connection" issue. That said, with a second Mini coming online (fingers crossed), the DVR's network connection may become more critical.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You might want to communicate with the other users experiencing the symptom and see if sharing TiVo support ticket numbers is an option. If/when I get back to my sister's setup, I expect that I could quickly add my own instance, since I have an unused BOLT and a few Minis all currently running TE4.

10. Beachbum55

Beachbum55 Member

Jan 1, 2004
    So...I’m a TiVo-aholic. I started with the TiVo with DVD writer in 2004.

I’ve always liked the interface and it’s the only thing my wife really likes

So, if I decide to add a TiVo Lux in my Master Bedroom, is there going to be a conflict between whatever the Lux is running and my Roamio which is running 20.7?

I’m not sure I want to change my Roamio to the new user experience.

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    A A95 Mini (VOX/LUX) can run TE3, but a new one may face the same hurdle (glitch) in getting the needed TE3 software installed. Need to review the other threads to see if this is strictly a A92/A93 issue, or applicable to all Mini downgrades.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    That would resolve the "dog ate my Internet" error for any Minis; however, a subsequent downgrade/reversion to TE3 would (1) snuff all recordings and settings on the DVR, and (2) risk losing all Mini connectivity following the TE3 downgrade.

13. Beachbum55

Beachbum55 Member

Jan 1, 2004
    I spent some time on the phone yesterday with TiVo support. The support rep insisted on having me reboot my Roamio twice, then reconnecting the mini with TE4 that’s not working. I kept explaining to him that this is a known problem, but there was no recognition that the software version was the problem. He insisted that it was some sort of hardware problem. I don’t expect that TiVo will ever bother providing a path for people to downgrade their Mini version 2’s.

So they offered me a deal of $150 for a new Mini Lux and said that it work with my Roamio version 20.7. We’ll see how that goes.

krkaufman likes this.
  14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I should be back, w/in the week, where I have access to a test BOLT and a couple test Minis, both v1/v2 and Mini VOX, should you care to wait.

15. Beachbum55

Beachbum55 Member

Jan 1, 2004
    Thanks! Sounds good. I probably won’t open it up until next weekend at the earliest.

I found a post on Reddit about someone successfully rolling back a Lux without losing anything on their Roamio. This was my understanding from my conversation with the support rep and the sales reps that I spoke to yesterday.

16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah, as some highlighted in that thread, the Mini downgrade message is horribly worded. Downgrade of a Mini has no effect on the host DVR (seeing as the host DVR would already be running the TE3 software).

Alas, there's no confirmation in that reddit thread that the Mini, in question, was a Mini VOX/LUX; however, that's not necessary, as it is KNOWN that a Mini VOX/LUX *should* be able to downgrade to TE3, as many on TCF have reported since the Mini VOX was first released. (And I can confirm having done so a couple months back, when replacing a dead v2/A93 Mini w/ a Mini VOX, attached to a TE3 host DVR.)

Given that thread is 2 years old, what remains unknown is if a Mini VOX/LUX can *still* downgrade to TE3, at some point after the "dog ate my Internet" issue reared its head.

17. Beachbum55

Beachbum55 Member

Jan 1, 2004
    So I installed the new Mini Lux over the weekend. I successfully connected it the MoCA network. The roll-back to TE3 was problem free, and after the re-boot the the Mini Lux seemed to work fine...for a few minutes. I was able to watch TV and play recorded shows for about 10 minutes, then it would lose connection.

I called TiVo support and lucked out with and extremely knowledgeable support rep. He looked at my system and identified the fact that the WiFi signal was not strong enough on my Roamio to support the Lux. “Why aren’t you using MoCA on your Roamio.” I told him I could never get it working. He explained that we were going to get MoCA operational and he did. So now, MoCa is running on all devices (Roamio Pro, V2 Mini, and Mini Lux).

The weird thing was that my V2 Mini was running fine on the MoCA network for a number of years with the Roamio running on WiFi, but the new Lux just didn’t like that.

That wouldn’t have solved my original problem, which was that the used V2 Mini that I tried to install had been upgraded to TE4, which can’t be downgraded.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It is known.

:) Glad you got it all working, and via TiVo Support to boot!