Used DVR4ME promotion - You might have a 2-year commitment

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by das335, Jul 22, 2007.

1. das335

das335 Member

Feb 8, 2006

Advertisements

I just wanted to share a rather unpleasant experience I had with the DirecTV customer service staff.

I called today to cancel my service (moving to Verizon FIOS) and I was told that I still have a service commitment. I knew that was wrong and I tried to explain to the rep that the last DirecTivo I added was part of their DVR4ME promotion and it did NOT require a commitment.

Even though he found "something" in the notes on my account, he still can not override the mysterious commitment. I had cancelled a series 1 DRS6000 about two (2) months ago and I had the rep check for a commitment at that time and I was told there was no commitment tied to my account.

I now have the pleasure of waiting 5 to 7 days for my account to be reviewed by the "Account Management" team. I can not contact anyone until after they make a ruling. Of course I saved the email that DirecTV sent me when I ordered the HDRV2 as part of the DVR4ME promotion that has the following terms in the Email:

OFFER TERMS AND CONDITIONS
    By placing this order you agree to the following terms and conditions:

Offer for existing residential customers only with accounts in good standing, as determined by DIRECTV in its sole discretion.

Applicable taxes not included in system price.

Within 30 days of equipment purchase you agree to activate the DIRECTV DVR service ($5.99/mo.). In certain markets, programming and pricing may vary.

Limited time offer expires 2/28/2006 or while supplies last.

DIRECTV DVR service fee is $5.99/mo. and covers every DVR in your home. The DVR service fee is waived for customers subscribing to TOTAL CHOICE PREMIER programming.
    *Actual recording capacity depends on type of programming being recorded. Land-based phone line connection required. Professional installation highly recommended.

DIRECTV PROGRAMMING AND PRICING SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME. Fee for separate programming on second and each additional TV $4.99.mo. You are not obligated to continue your subscription to DIRECTV programming for any specific duration. Existing customers may activate additional receivers with their existing DIRECTV programming package. FAILURE TO ACTIVATE THE DIRECTV SYSTEM WITHIN 30 DAYS OF RECEIPT MAY RESULT IN A CHARGE OF $150 FOR EACH DIRECTV RECEIVER NOT ACTIVATED. If you return your equipment within 30 days of purchase and prior to installation, you will receive a full refund, minus shipping and handling. Offer void in Alaska and Hawaii and where prohibited or restricted. May not be combined with any other offer. Offer and equipment are non-transferable and may not be resold. Hardware and programming sold separately. Programming and pricing subject to change. Pricing in residential. Taxes not included. Receipt of DIRECTV programming is subject to the terms of the DIRECTV Customer Agreement; a copy is provided at DIRECTV.com and in your first bill. DIRECTV services not provided outside the U.S. ©2006 DIRECTV, Inc. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo, TOTAL CHOICE and DIRECTV PARA TODOS are registered trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc.

I am looking forward to seeing the new Tivo-Lite HD recorder and I hope to get back into the Tivo community again soon. The Verizon DVR is what I expected and it will do for a while.

So in summary, even if they send you something in writing, add notes to your account, put a line on your bill that says "No annual commitment", and tell you several times that you don't have a commitment, you might still have a commitment in their system that you will need to dispute.

It was very interesting to hear the number of offers the rep could give me to stay. I think they included:

1 year free dvr fees
    10$ off for 6 months
    Showtime/Stars movie packages

I think he even offered an HD DVR (not a Tivo of course) at one point but I was not interested. I stayed with DirecTV for over 5 years because of the DirecTivo product. Now that I have HDTV, it is very hard to watch the SDTV signal from DirecTV and I am interested in a Tivo-based solution.

Sorry for the rant but I just wanted to warn anyone else that might be in a similar situation.

2. sven_kirk

sven_kirk New Member

Sep 11, 2005
    Atlanta Ga
    They sent us a "Thanks" letter offering us either $5 off for 12 months, 24 PPV, or 6 mo. of Showtime. Third sentence in the disclaimer in the back adds another year to the contract. I don't mind signing up for another year. I love the service, and don't plan to leave. Just wish they would offer more.

So a heads up to any of you who gets an offer like that.

--------------------
    3 FREE (owned) Samsung SIR-S4080R Unhacked

3. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    das335

That's pretty much my experience with Directv.... they really need to put the amount of time that a customer has left for any commitment on their monthly bill. I bet if they did that on next months bill there would be many a customer that would be surprised to find that they have a commitment that they never agreed to.