Use TiVo with camera for coaching?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sals13, Jul 4, 2010.

1. sals13

sals13 New Member

Jul 4, 2010

Advertisements

I am a hs volleyball and basketball coach and would like to use a TiVo series 2 to help in practice:

Video camera recording players in a drill connected to TiVo and then TV. After performing a rep, the player goes to TV where they watch their performance with assistant coach on the monitor using the buffer feature.

Can use the TiVo unit this way? I don't have a subscription and I don't want to record anything, I just want to use the buffer feature to pause and rewind video in the practice setting.

Sal

2. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Set up the Series 2 as follows: connect your video camera to the external composite (or SVHS if available), Tell the TiVo, when asked, that you have a cable box, The TiVo will ask you what type of cable box you have, pick any you want as it will not matter, after the Series 2 is setup you can disconnect it from the network/phone and use it with the 30 minute buffer, you will never be able to go back more than 30 minutes in real time, you can pause but when the buffer get to the pause time the TiVo will start playing again. You do not need a sub to do this.

3. sals13

sals13 New Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Thanks for the info. Are you sure this will work even though I have never had a TiVo subscription? I don't want to buy something that will be useless to me, but if this works, it will be a big plus for my teams. Seeing yourself doing a skill and trying again is a powerful learning tool.

4. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    It will work, just remember that the 30 minutes is real time, you can't save anything for later viewing IE your taping something that you want to look at, its 2PM, you must finish looking at at what you want by 2:30PM after that it will be lost.
    If you understand the limitations it will work.