Use S3 drive in TiVo HD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Berkshire, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Berkshire

Berkshire New Member

Jul 1, 2007

Advertisements

I have the original 250 GB HD from an upgraded S3.

Can I replace the stock 160GB TiVo HD drive with it? Can the 160 be used as a backup drive for the S3?

Also, before I buy the TiVo HD, are there any problems of significance - I see there is an update related to the SA cable cards (I have SA) to fix some initial problems.

Also, considering buying a 400GB TiVo HD unit from DVR Upgrade (price looks decent), any cautions?

Thank you.

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Hard drives are interchangeable between the two units, but they will need to be reprogrammed with the correct image.

3. Berkshire

Berkshire New Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Can I move a drive from one TiVo to another (compatible, ie. 240 to 240 Series 2s) with the same MAK (my account) and continue to access the old recordings?

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    No. The drive are still encrypted to the system key. The MAK is only used to encrypt transfers.

5. Berkshire

Berkshire New Member

Jul 1, 2007

Advertisements

Thank you. I may end up doing a poor man's HD upgrade on an S2 by getting my SPs saved at TiVo by signing up for Guru and MRV'ing recordings to another S2, then changing the drive and return MRV'ing the recordings.

For the TiVo HD, I think I will buy direct from TiVo and get the larger drive later.

6. Berkshire

Berkshire New Member

Jul 1, 2007
    As for replacing existing S2 drives with larger ones: I have external IDE/PATA-USB boxes; could I use two of those boxes for the copy of OS & recordings from/to old/new S2 drives? Are the tools required the same?

bkdtv offered this process for the TiVo HD...