Use power supply in DRT400 Series 2 in TCD24004A?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Redoctobyr, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Redoctobyr

Redoctobyr Active Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Hi all,

I have a Series 2 TCD24004A unit, with a failed power supply. It was getting stuck at the Powering Up screen. Swapped the drive, tried different disk images, etc, it still would not boot. Finally borrowed & installed the power supply from my Series 2 TCD540040, and it boots.

I do have a Humax DRT400F (with DVD burner) Series 2 that's not being used. Its power supply is a different shape, and would not fit with the cover installed on the TCD24004A. But it does still have a 20-pin ribbon cable to send power to the motherboard, etc. Could I use this power supply short-term, until I can get the proper replacement? I will have to leave the cover off. Are the Series 2 power supplies all electrically compatible, just with different physical layouts? I don't expect that power supply capacity would be an issue. I only have 1 hard drive installed.

I don't want to fry my Lifetime-equipped TCD24004A, of course, by using a power supply that will damage it. Only considering this if it's definitely a safe approach. Thank you for any info.

2. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    Not all Series 2 power supplies are compatible with each other. They are different sizes, have different pinouts and power requirements. I highly doubt that the power supply from the Humax would work in the TCD240. And you risk frying something important. I wouldn't do it.

Just my 2 cents,
    robomeister

3. Redoctobyr

Redoctobyr Active Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Point well-taken, believe me. That's why I asked. If this was a perfectly reasonable, albeit awkward, thing to do, that's been done before, I'm fine with that. But if I may blow something, then I'm not going to try it.

After posting, I found the little tags on each power supply. I did see that the Humax supply was 32V instead of 30V, and there were a few other little changes as well. And if, like you said, the pinouts may be different, then it's definitely not a good idea.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That 28 or 30 or 32 Volt rail is a low current one just to supply the voltage that tunes the tuner(s) (I'm 99% certain). You can probably stand a little mismatch there.

Does that Humax list anything other than +32, +12, +5, and does it list +3.3?

Is the amperage for each at least, or almost at least as high as on the 240 supply?

Look at this page

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php

and tell me if the picture they have for a DRT 400 supply is the same as yours.

What are the front to back and side to side measurements of both supplies, and do any of the holes in the Humax supply line up with the screw holes and standoffs in the 240?

5. Redoctobyr

Redoctobyr Active Member

Jun 21, 2008
    The TCD240 supply puts out:

3.3V
    5V
    12V
    30V

The DRT400 Humax supply puts out:
    3.3V
    5V
    7.5V
    12V
    32V
    VFD
    VFD-FL

All of the Humax amperages are higher than the TCD240. But there are enough differences that it seems risky to try the swap.

The DRT400 supply does look like the one at Weaknees, yes. But it's much longer than the TCD240 supply, so I wouldn't be able to actually install it on any standoffs. To make the ribbon cable line up, it would have to sit sideways, resting on some other stuff, with the power cord sticking out to the right-hand side of the unit, etc.

I really appreciate all the feedback. But it seems like it's probably not a great idea to try this :)

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
  7. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The power supply from any of these models will work with your Tivo.

TiVo TCD230040
    TiVo TCD240040
    TiVo TCD240080
    TiVo TCD24004A
    TiVo TCD24008A
    TiVo TCD240140

You can probably find a used one without a subscription cheap on Craig's list quickly. It doesn't make sense to try this if you can find the correct part easily.

8. Redoctobyr

Redoctobyr Active Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Agreed, that's what I'm trying to do at the moment :up: