Use my Premiere XL as a DRV, no service?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by snicklefritz, Nov 14, 2011.

1. snicklefritz

snicklefritz New Member

Jan 4, 2010
    After using my Premiere XL with OTA for a year -- wonderfully -- my other half wants cable back. Tried four, yes four, visits from Time Warner reps trying to get the M card, Tivo and TWC working. No such luck. We are fed up. The cable rep is now saying it must be the Tivo with problems because they have tried absolutely everything else.

About to consider DirecTV with their machine -- no waiting for their Tivo -- and eating the 11 months left on my Tivo annual renewal, which was just done a month ago. (Sigh.) But it is worth marital peace.

Two questions:
    1) Can I just my Tivo as my DVR with DirecTV and not get one from them? Basiclly just use it without hooking it up with Tivo service?

2) If we do get the DirecTV dvr/box, how hard is it to have DirecTV *and* my Tivo set up with OTA?

Thanks all!

2. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    The Tivo premiere will not work with Directv, Dish Network or AT&T UVERSE. They only will work with Cable and/or OTA.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can the Premiere with OTA as a separate system (since its free) along with DirecTV's own DVR but you cannot use the Tivo with DirecTV service.

You could hook each up to separate inputs of your TV.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Is your Tivo setup for OTA only? If so, you have to rerun guided setup to tell the Tivo that you want to use cable + OTA.

5. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    There are threads here with information on pushing this issue up the TWC chain of command and getting help from tivo as well. Its likely a pairing issue on the TWC end. I would call TWC back, ask for an installations supervisior and explain that thier system still does not work. Also file a complaint with the FCC. It does get things moving. This is a TWC error, work to get them to fix it.

Or give up tivo and go to DirectTV. We will never have either in our home again. Get everything from OTA and internet.

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Whenever you have a change in the TV source, like change from antenna to cable, you must run guided setup each time.

Hook up the cable to the cable input, run guided setup.
    When you add cable cards, run guided setup again.

7. snicklefritz

snicklefritz New Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Thanks all. I have rerun the setup many times, as have the couple of TWC people. I think it is likely that this is a pairings issue, but we had a TWC fellow here for about 5 hours on Saturday and he could not get it to work. I'm still betting pairings issue, but...

I would LOVE to stick with OTA and my Tivo. But my sweetie wants his ESPN.