Use MSD Lifetime Sub for a Gift

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by CoxInPHX, Nov 18, 2011.

1. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    This surely has been done before, Has anyone had an issue with TiVo by doing this.

I would like to use my MSD to purchase lifetime on a Premiere and give the Premiere as a gift to a family member at a different residence.

Should I leave the TiVo on my account or transfer the TiVo after activation to their new account. They do not have a TiVo currently.

The Multi-service discount service agreement, would appear to prohibit this, but I see new Premieres w/ lifetime on Ebay all the time.
    https://www3.tivo.com/abouttivo/policies/tivomultiservicediscountagreement.html

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Every Lifetime TiVo I've owned(16) I got with the MSD lifetime price. And I've sold or given eleven of those away over the last few years.

3. Scyber

Scyber Former ReplayTV User

Apr 25, 2002
    Transferring an MSD lifetime is fine. The only thing is that if they order a 2nd TiVo, they probably won't qualify for MSD on the 2nd TiVo. One "full price" TiVo is required on the account in order to qualify for MSD.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That's what I thought but when i checked recently with TiVo, all my current Lifetime units could be used as a qualifier for MSD, even though I paid the lifetime MSD for all those units. The only box i have that they said could not be used to qualify for the MSD was my $6.95 a month Premiere.
    of course this is assuming what the CSR told me was correct.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I don't think they can distinguish MSD lifetime from "full price" lifetime. They're both code 5 to them. I think they just count on most people being honest and not abusing the process for a profit.

Dan

6. Scyber

Apr 25, 2002
    Well they can on my Tivos. I have an original Series 1 with lifetime, 2 MSD Lifetime TivoHDs, and 1 monthly TivoHD. The problem is the original Series 1 is disconnected. When I got my first TivoHD, the website only showed the non-MSD price. In order to get MSD Lifetime I had to plug the Series 1 back in and have it connect. After a few weeks I disconnected it. Same thing with my 2nd tivohd. In order to get MSD I had to plug the Series 1 back in and have it connect again. After a few weeks I disconnected it. When I got my last TivoHD, in order to get MSD monthly, I had to plugin the Series 1 back in. I then disconnected the Series 1. The problem is that after a few months, the monthly TivoHD reverted to the non-MSD price, so I had to plug the Series 1 back in and ask for an adjustment.

The Tivo CSR told me outright that MSD lifetime tivos don't count if you want another MSD. Perhaps the policy has changed since I last spoke to them, but at the time (probably about a year ago), that is what the policy was.

7. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Hmmm... Perhaps I'm mistaken. I bought a lifetime TiVo for my sister once, using my account, and then transferred it to her and she uses it for MSD on her other TiVos. However that might have been before they offered a special MSD Lifetime option. (it's been a while)

Dan

9. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Were they giving you a monthly MSD rate on your Tivo HD with the qualifying S1 disconnected?

10. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I had a CSR actually confirm to me that they can see that the lifetimes I had were transferred. So, they can see it at the call center. I would think they would as it is always best to have a history on a unit and account.

11. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I just wish that they would split them up on the website. Active, transferred, and inactive categories would be great.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That would be nice. I have sixteen TiVos showing up on my active DVR list, yet most of those are not mine any more.

At least the correct ones show up on the DVR preference list.

13. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    If they can, then it apparently doesn't matter for getting the MSD. The first two Tivos that I registered were lifetime S1s that I picked up on eBay about a year ago. As soon as they went on my account, it showed that I qualified for MSD. I used that status to get the special Premiere discount they had a couple of months ago.

14. Scyber

Apr 25, 2002
    For a couple of months. According to the CSR I spoke to about it, after a TiVo doesn't connect for a specified period of time it is considered inactive. And inactive TiVo's can't be used for the MSD rate. I forget how long the timeframe was exactly.

My S1 is at my vacation home, so I don't have routine access to it. I also unplug it when I'm not there, so that is why it doesn't connect for a while.

15. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    The time is 6 months without calling home, I think that is reasonable on TiVos part.

16. Scyber

Apr 25, 2002
    I thought it was 6 months and I was originally gonna put that in my post. But I took it out b/c I wasn't 100% sure.