Use MoCa connection from Tivo Bolt to recive internet on other decvices

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Techcat, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Techcat

Techcat New Member

Nov 18, 2020

Advertisements

We have a Tivo Bolt connected to our router via Ethernet to broadcast a MoCa connection to our other two Tivo Mini's. I was wondering if it would be possible utilize this connection to get an internet connection to my PC in the other room? If so what kind of hardware would i need to convert the MoCa connection into a proper Ethernet signal?

2. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    You need a MoCA adapter like these: Amazon.com : moca adapter
    I have been using Actiontech's for several years successfully.

3. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    If you don't need a lot of bandwidth, the WCB3000N01 is a low cost MoCA adapter that also can act as a WiFi extender. It has two ethernet ports. You can either use a two-way splitter to feed MoCA to this as well as the Mini, or just move the coax from the Mini to this and swith the Mini to an ethernet feed. Add an ethernet switch if needed.

4. XIBM

XIBM Member

Mar 9, 2013
    I have been using one of these as a wifi extender on MOCA through my BOLT+ that is Ethernet to my router. It links in a wifi camera and a echo 24/7 and sometimes my iPhone and is working OK.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

The TiVo BOLT's MoCA bridge is standard MoCA 2.0, so keep that in mind when considering what adapter(s) to use for your remote location(s). (The throughput max is determined by the highest spec supported by both MoCA nodes.)

See >this post< for a variety of available MoCA adapters, sorted by MoCA version (w/ effective throughput limits).

You could consider using a standalone MoCA adapter as your main MoCA/Ethernet bridge (rather than the BOLT), if you require greater throughput or want to avoid the occasional outage during a DVR reboot.

edit: p.s. The goCoax MoCA 2.5 adapter is the best value/performance, at present, though the TiVo Bridge Plus sale price (Weaknees via Amazon) is attractive.

6. Techcat

Techcat New Member

Nov 18, 2020
    Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies!

I think the WCB3000N mentioned above is exactly what I'm looking for. Seems almost too good to be true for only 20 bucks!

snerd likes this.