Use for old Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by ipswichclam, Nov 16, 2020.

1. ipswichclam

ipswichclam New Member

Dec 29, 2014

Advertisements

I have a 6 year old Roamio Plus that I plan to replace with an 1 or 2TB Roamio.

The old one works ok, but between the age of the machine and the size of the drive, I am ready for something new. I have 4 minis connected to it, BTW. I will move the cable card from the old machine to the new.

Will I be able to use the leave Roamio on the network and connect to it to transfer old shows if I want? Or use it like a mini to access the new Roamio?

2. DougJohnson

DougJohnson Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Does it have all-in service? If so, you can either leave it on the network to transfer shows, use it like a mini, or sell it on eBay. You can do those things without all-in, but you'll need to keep paying service fees if you keep it and it is not worth much on eBay.

But I don't see a need to replace it just because of age. If it is still running well, you can swap in a larger hard drive very easily.

-- Doug

3. ipswichclam

ipswichclam New Member

Dec 29, 2014
    No, it does not have all in.

Maybe you are right, I should swap the HD.

4. brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Just put in a new HD rather than buy a whole new unit. I've done it and all you have to do is swap it and plug it back in. Just make sure the drive is not SMR (see other discussions).

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

You are paying toooooooooo much if its not on All-in/Lifetime. At $15 a month, it really adds up over the years.

6. brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014
    72 months x $15 = $1080! vs. $550 one time fee.

7. Sheffield Steve

Sheffield Steve Member

Jun 11, 2010
    If you are paying $15/month you need to call Tivo

I did and am paying $6.95/month + tax

8. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Paying anything monthly is still too much. It would just take a little longer until you reach the equivalent value of the All-in/Lifetime and you will still be paying.

9. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Keep it for parts, the fan and remote will always be usable. And probably worth more than if you sell it.

10. Old Roamio 0

Old Roamio 0 New Member

Jul 19, 2020
    Can an old tivo be restarted for use if it is dropped from a plan? I think new ones one can deactivate, and later have reactivated with the monthly fee. Old tivos? - maybe but I don't think so - judged from looking at my tivo list of equipment online at my account on their site.

11. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Series 4 (Premieres) or later models can be reactivated.

Old Roamio 0 likes this.