Use a purchased Mini with Cable Co. TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by msejnoha, Oct 12, 2020.

1. msejnoha

msejnoha New Member

Oct 12, 2020

Advertisements

My main TiVo and one mini are provided by my cable company. I would like to add a couple more minis for garage TVs, but I’d rather not lease them from the cable company. I think they get something like $10/month per Mini. It’s not a lot, but my bill is already $260/month, so at some point, you’ve gotta try to stop the bleeding. So I purchased a used Mini for $30, and had it added to my TiVo account. I hooked it up to one of the garage TVs, and get a MoCA error C33. Now I know there is no actual MoCA problem. It’s a brand new house that I just finished building this spring and the cable company installed the main box and Mini in late May/early June and both of those work fine. I asked the cable company if I could purchase a mini and use it and they said no, which is what I expected. Of course they want to milk me for everything they can. But I figured for $30, I’d give it a shot. So, is it possible? Or should I bite the bullet and pay the $10/month?

2. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Generally speaking, cableco-provided TiVos are a "sealed" ecosystem, within which retail equipment can't operate.

You'd need to either rent a cableco-provided Mini, or switch your whole TiVo ecosystem to retail boxes.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  4. msejnoha

msejnoha New Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Thanks to you both for the replies. I was afraid it was going to be too good to be true. The mini is activated on my TiVo account, but won’t connect over MoCA. I assume some sort of software/firmware difference. I guess I’ll be stuck with the Midcontinent Communications lease.

5. brobin

brobin Member

Feb 14, 2014

Advertisements

Are you sure the cable in the garage is actually connected to your cable splitter? If no TV was connected to that cable during installation it's probably sitting loose in the junction box.