USB200M ver 2, Will it work after the Zipper?

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by KrazyKevin, Nov 27, 2005.

1. KrazyKevin

KrazyKevin New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Liberty, TX
    I got the zipper installed and used the serial cable to run the enhancement script. I thought I read somewhere that after the enhancement portion of the zipper, the new usb 2 drivers would allow the ver 2 adapter to work. I still only get the middle green light of the adapter to light up. Has anyone got a version 2 USB200M to work after the zipper?

2. kramerboy

kramerboy Jelly Man

Jul 13, 2001
    Orrville, OH
    Someone can correct me if this is wrong, but I thought that the USB drivers that the enhancement script installs includes ones that work with the v2 USB200M.

3. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC
    USB v2.0 is not the same as v2 on the linksys adapter. The v2 adapter is not on the list of "approved" ones because there are no drivers there.

4. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    Jamie's USB backports (which is what the zipper uses) do include USB 200M v2.

5. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC
    I stand corrected on the no drivers there statment..... :D

6. rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Bottom line, it should work, but only after running the enhancement script. Which means you need a different adapter to make the initial connection to your tivo.

7. KrazyKevin

KrazyKevin New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Liberty, TX
    Ok, I ran the enhancement script. But I'm only getting the single led to light up. Its the 10/100 light, the link/act and the F/H light doesn't come on. What does this sound like? Also, when using hyperterminal, I got it to work the one time to run the enhancement script but now when I bring it up I can't type or anything. Its just a white screen.

8. KrazyKevin

KrazyKevin New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Liberty, TX
    Rebooted the tivo and got hyperterminal working again. I've been looking through the dir's on the tivo hunting a way to check/change my tivos ip. Is there a certain program I should be looking for? My tivo isn't showing up on the connected devices from my routers setup menu. I've been searching through the forum here to no avail. I've got the zipper and enhancements scripts installed. I've got the serial connection down. I don't know where to start on trying to figure out the usb ethernet problem?

9. rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Run
    Code:
    sh /enhancements/net-launch.sh
    from bash, and enter your IP params. You can also check them in Tivowebplus.

10. KrazyKevin

KrazyKevin New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Liberty, TX
    Thank you rbautch, I ran the command you mentioned and this is what I saw in hyperterminal:

bash-2.02# net-launch.sh
    Please enter a static IP address for your Tivo: 192.168.1.105
    Please enter the IP address of your router: 192.168.1.1
    .//net-launch.sh: /enhancements/ipaddress_flag: Read-only file system
    Didn't find network with Default = 1 exiting...
    bash-2.02#

Is it me, or is it my network setup? I have a linksys router which my pc and vonage router are plugged into. The tivo is the third device.

Thank you for your help. I'll continue my quest by searching this site. If you know of a thread about what I'm asking, I'd appreciate a link.

Also, to anyone that has gotten the USB200M ver 2 to work after the enhancement script chime in and let me know. I'm still only getting one light on the adapter.

Also when I unplug the usb adapter and plug it into another I get this:

usb.c: USB device 5 (vend/prod 0x13b1/0x18) is not claimed by any active driver

11. KrazyKevin

KrazyKevin New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Liberty, TX
    As I unplugged my usb adapter and plugged it into the other usb port to get the message to pop up on hyperterminal, I now have 2 lights on the adapter on, the F/H light and the 10/100 is now lit. The link/ack light isn't. Just wanted to throw this out there.

12. rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Your adapter is not being recognized. When you ran the enhancement script, did you answer "yes" to install USB 2.0 drivers?

13. KrazyKevin

KrazyKevin New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Liberty, TX
    Yes sir, I did. Does it matter which usb port on the tivo I connect the adapter to?

14. KrazyKevin

KrazyKevin New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Liberty, TX
    rbautch, I just ran the uninstall file under /hacks called tweak-uninstall.sh It appeared to do what it was supposed to do since the enhancements folder was gone after I rebooted. I then went back to the /hacks directory and ran the tweak.sh file again. I didn't do the express install because I didn't consider myself an expert. Everything seemed to install correctly and on the part that asked about usb 2.0, I answered yes and it said it backed up the old ones and it proceeded installing. I rebooted and everything came up. I plugged my adapter in and still the single light.

15. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Any chance you have the usb200m plugged into a hub rather than a switch? A hub will be half duplex, so the f/h light won't be lite, indicating half rather than full duplex. That's normal and is described on page 5 of the users guide [online users guide].

16. KrazyKevin

KrazyKevin New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Liberty, TX
    Well, I have it plugged into a Linksys BEFSX41 router. Along with my vonage and home pc's.

17. KrazyKevin

KrazyKevin New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Liberty, TX
    JamieP, I saw the part you referred to in the manual, if that was the case, how can I change anything being the adapter is plugged into the tivo. There is no configuring it!!

18. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    A BEFSX41 is switched and should be full duplex. However, port 4 is a DMZ port. Any chance you have the tivo plugged into port 4 on the router? If so, you might try a different port. I'm just grasping at straws here, but my guess is that your router is part of the problem. A direct connection to the PC with a crossover cable would be one way to find out.

19. KrazyKevin

KrazyKevin New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Liberty, TX
    Again, thanks for the help. I'll have to check on which port its plugged into. The thing that gets me is the line i get in hyperterminal when I connect the usb adapter to the tivo:

usb.c: USB device 5 (vend/prod 0x13b1/0x18) is not claimed by any active driver

20. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    That's normal before the usbnet driver is loaded. You should see it recognized later when the driver loads. You should see something like this:
    Code:
    eth0: register usbnet usb-00:0d.2-1, ASIX AX88772 USB 2.0 Ethernet
    Does ifconfig -a tell you anything useful?

Is there an entry in /etc/hotplug/usb.map for the USB200MV2? You probably need that if you are attempting to "hotplug" the device, rather than having it pugged in at boot.