USB wifi adapter on Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by vaquero, Jun 22, 2020.

1. vaquero

vaquero Active Member

Jan 14, 2020
    I have a Premiere in a back room using the Tivo Wireless G USB adapter for wifi. It works great, never loses signal or connection to router.

I have a Roamio in same room as router and much closer and it is constantly losing connection.

I have an extra Tivo Wireless G USB adapter. Can it be used on the Roamio? Is there some way to disable the internal wifi?

Both units are running TE3. They are on separate TV antennas. One gets some of the channels, the other gets some other channels. I frequently record on one and watch it on the other TV, so I need decent wireless connecton. Ethernet or Moca are not an option.

Thanks.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You could try changing wireless channel in your router, don't use AUTO, but rather have it set to channel 1, 6, or 11 (better).
    The Roamio can connect with 5G, if your router supports it.

3. vaquero

vaquero Active Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Thanks. Changing channel doesn't seem to have any effect. Same with using 2.4 versus 5.

I've got a spare Roamio. Is the built in wifi plug and play, maybe I could swap it out and see if the first one is defective.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Is it feasible to swap TiVo boxes for a day? Maybe the Roamio is too close to the router. I have a Roamio only 12" from my router, so I used Ethernet.

5. vaquero

vaquero Active Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Good idea to swap them.

The Premiere is about 30' away with one wall between it and the router. The Roamio is in the same room about 12' distance with no obstructions.