Usb right to the Cable Modem?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TiVo Is God, Jul 14, 2007.

1. TiVo Is God

TiVo Is God New Member

Sep 27, 2004

Advertisements

I have a USB on the back of my TiVo, I know it says to get a USB connect to go wired but my Cable Modem has a USB port on it and a Either port. I use the Either for the PC but the USB port is open. Could I run a USB cabel right from the Cabel box to the TiVo? I dont see why it woudn't work. But I didn't want to screw up anything so I thought I would as here first.

2. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

Nope will not work

ajwees41

3. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Won't work. The TiVo doesn't have the necessary drivers to talk to the cable modem. When you connect a PC to the modem using USB you have to install a driver in the PC to talk to the modem. Same thing would apply for the TiVo except that there isn't a driver for this purpose.

4. TiVo Is God

TiVo Is God New Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Oh you the Drivers, I should have thought of that.
    Why can't everything be as easy as the Nintendo Wii! All I do would get a $25 WiFi USB connector, plugged to my PC and my Wii is online. No router, nothing to pay extra to hook to the Wii, just one small thing to add.

5. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...

Advertisements

So add a wifi adapter to the TiVo.

6. TiVo Is God

TiVo Is God New Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Then I have to go get a router. Dont have the cash right and not 100% I want to spend that money get to download movies. But I may brake down...not sure yet

7. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    You could connect the TiVo to the PC in a peer-to-peer wireless network the same as you've done with your Wii (so no router is required), but not simultaneously with the Wii being connected.

8. TiVo Is God

TiVo Is God New Member

Sep 27, 2004

I will look in to that, for the Wii I had to get a USB connector for the PC. How do I need peer-to-peer wireless network with no router? I am guess I can't just do USB PC to the USB Tivo Slot.

9. dvr4me

dvr4me New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    I would recommend getting a router regardless. $50 (or less) for a simple wireless-G router with a built in firewall and NAT is a smart investment in security for your PC.

All it takes is one zero day attack and you'll spend a lot more than $50 in time and aggravation cleaning the infection off your PC.

10. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    Even if the Tivo could be connected to the modem via USB it wouldn't work the way you wanted. Unless you're paying extra you're only getting one IP address from your cable ISP so if you use the USB to pull an IP address then you end up disabling the network jack because now it can't pull an IP address.

11. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    You could try seting your PC up for internet sharing and connect the tivo ethernet port to a second network card on your computer using a cross over cable. Or use the USB port on modem to connect the PC to it and then reuse the existing ethernet port for the Tivo to connect to with the cross over cable. You would have to leave the PC on for the Tivo to call out over the internet.

12. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Or just buy the $35 router.