USB Ports on Tivo HD or Tivo S3

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by thesaintfl, Oct 15, 2007.

1. thesaintfl

thesaintfl New Member

Oct 15, 2007

Advertisements

Hi all!

Can the USB port connections on the Tivo HD or Tivo Series3 be used for other devices? Like for instance, a Notebook Cooler "Chill Pad" (Targus PA248U Notebook Chill Pad)? My room gets really hot and I don't want the Tivo overheating or my AC bill going up.... I have a lot of Electronics in a small area.

I would test this out myself, but, I do not have either Tivo unit yet. Thanks! :)

2. orev

orev Member

Feb 16, 2003
    Something like a chiller like that just uses USB for power, so TiVo does not need to support it with drivers. However, a fan like that just moves heat around, it cannot reduce the heat. It might be good for the Tivo to help keep it cooler, but it cannot reduce the total amount of heat in the room. That's the law of physics.

3. thesaintfl

thesaintfl New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Thanks for reply. I know it will not reduce the heat in the entire room, but it can't hurt my situation to keep the Tivo unit itself cooler. I have one with my laptop and it does work pretty well to keep the CPU and hard disk temp down.

Do you know if the Tivo USB would power up the Notebook Cooler? I did not realize that Notebook Coolers needs drivers?

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    :rolleyes:

Why would you even think that someone would expect a laptop "chiller" pad to cool a room?