USB 2 to SATA Adapter w Greater than 500 gb Support

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Guy Kuo, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo New Member

Feb 10, 1999
    Seattle, WA
    Has anyone found a USB2 to SATA adapter cable/device which supports SATA drives larger than 500 GB? The Vantech unit I have will only support drives up to 500 GB (per their documentation) I've tried searching for an alternative on the web, but rarely if ever is the maximum supported drive stated.

2. moxie1617

moxie1617 Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Chicago...
    Try the Antec MX-1 enclosure. Tested to 750GB and I believe that someone in the e-SATA S3 thread is using it with the 1TB Hitachi, that is via the e-SATA connection. It has a USB 2.0 port and I use it for offsite storage of my server backups with a 500GB e-SATA drive.
    The enclosure had been featured at newegg recently with $10 of and a $20 MIR.

3. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo New Member

Feb 10, 1999
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks.

I was hoping for an non-enclosure solution for conveniently working with bare drives. I guess I could pull the drive and put into an enclosure, but I'm hoping to do some winMFS trials without physically removing the (replaced) drive in and HD TiVo.

4. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Good question, for I seek an answer to this as well...

5. SAH2

SAH2 New Member

Apr 1, 2007
    I too am looking for a similar connection. I only have a laptop with USB 2.0 and want to upgrade my S3 internal drive with the Hitachi 1TB drive and copy the existing recordings, as I have already added the external drive.

6. Reinman

Reinman New and improved!

Nov 28, 2001
    I'm also looking for USB 2 to SATA that supports 1TB drives.

Has anyone found a solution?