US Tivo Premiere vs VM TiVo

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by mikerr, Mar 14, 2011.

1. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK

Advertisements

The VM Tivo is based on the premiere codebase (further developed by TiVo themselves for virgin to add OnDemand and VM branding)

(All screenshots from US premiere and VM Tivo)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- not much difference there, but I prefer the use of colour icons - easier to see keep status on the US screenshot.

We've gained

• integration of on-Demand content - works nicely

So what have we lost (or don't have yet) from the premiere?

• ability to access "channels I receive"
      this has big repercussions for wishlists, as they get swamped with children's programmes,
      one possible fix is to allow wishlists to operate only on channel favourites.

• ability to switch to "classic menus" exclusively, instead of switching between HD and SD screens.
      personally not bothered about this one, but wish they'd "finish off" the HD interface, so it never uses the old ones.

• ability to choose the style of the liveTV guide - grid style or older live-guide:
      US users can choose: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/226

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

• TiVo Desktop
      for transfer of recordings between TiVo and PC (both directions)

• iPad app
      Apparently we'll get this soon

• online season pass manager
      with backup & transfer between TiVos

2. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    Mike excellent info.
    Must admit I would prefer the blue rather than VM red but no chance of that being changed. All the others I hope will feature in the VM features wishlist and hopefully come to us in the future.

3. warrenrb

warrenrb Quiet Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Belfast
    The ability to toggle 'Channels I receive' seems like a no brainer to me. The arguments against seem to be either "It would confuse users", or "They are contractually obliged to show all the channels offered by the package".

On the first point, I think that if they are all on, by default, most Joe Punters that might be somehow 'confused' by toggling channels will never touch it, and so it would never likely be an issue. Not a reason not to give the 'power users' (I use that slightly sarcastically) the chance to toggle them off.

On the second, as far as I can see, so long as the channel is getting paid whatever they get paid for being in the XL package, why should it matter to VM or the channel provider if we then turn them off on our box? How is it any different from not having them in our 'favourites' and never watching them?

As others have stated, beside the desire to remove channels we aren't interested in, the fact that we have to keep both the SD/HD of certain channels active, plus the multitude of region channels for the likes of BBC1 diminishes the quality of the search results. Likewise, the inability to separate radio from TV channels.

4. nbaker

nbaker New Member

Sep 28, 2002
    Lincolnshire...
    Would be nice to have the old EPG back much better imo.

Oh and the blue is way nicer the red just deosn't look quite right, but that won't change.

5. sammyh25

sammyh25 New Member

Feb 9, 2011

Advertisements

Do agree the blue looks a lot better and much prefer the EPG overlaid on the picture.

6. andyfoxccp

andyfoxccp New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    Best news on this , to me, is that the capability for the old EPG should be there and has potetially been customised out, which means it 'could' be put back :)!!!

7. Digital Fanatic

Digital Fanatic Virgin Media Staff

Feb 16, 2011
    possibly advertising revenues?

8. Major dude

Major dude Member

Oct 28, 2002
    It is still there under manual recording.

9. Brangdon

Brangdon New Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Nottingham, UK
    That gives some browse options, but it doesn't give the 2-column guide overlay as shown in the last screenshot in the first message.

10. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Another drawback of not having the old "live guide" in fullscreen tv is that ther is no programme descriptions ! :mad:

You have to go into the fullscreen guide for that.
    Please tell me I've missed a key press? Info button only works for the currently tuned channel.

11. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Mike. Are you talking about the mini-guide? Just highlight a programme and select it ;) Tada! Programme details and options :)

12. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Yes, the miniguide in full screen livetv:
    [​IMG]
    Your method (bringing up the record window) only works for future programmes, otherwise it will change channel.

The description should really be in the top header by the time - there is space onscreen for it.

13. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Good point. Yes, absolutely.

14. Zaichik

Zaichik New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Hell on Earth
    That reminds me: when you call up programme information when you're watching it, how do you get to see the bit of the programme description which doesn't fit in the window?

15. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    You can't. Already mentioned in the 'bugs' thread :)

16. Zaichik

Zaichik New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Hell on Earth
    Thought not, but I was wondering if I was missing something. Turned out I was - the mention in the "bugs" thread! :D

17. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    On the S1 you pressed Enter.

18. Zaichik

Zaichik New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Hell on Earth
    Doesn't work on the VM TiVo. It doesn't have an enter key, but there is a button in the same place on the remote which works in the same way in some circumstances - just not this one.

19. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
  20. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    @Digital Fanatic: Could you possibly make sure that opinions on the on screen guide format are fed back. I know that's the thing about the Series 1 that I miss the most and I doubt I'm the only one who feels that way. If it were possible to be able to choose the style as with the US TiVo I think a lot of people here would be very happy.

Thanks.