US Series 2 Tivo - An idea?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by djc45, Dec 4, 2011.

1. djc45

djc45 New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Scotland
    Hi,
    I know, not another person talking about will a US Tivo work over here, I know why it won't, but my question is a bit different, so please read on.
    Here's the situation.
    I am thinking of getting a Sky Angel IPTV box from ebay for programming. It is a programming service in the USA. i have a VPN service that I pay for, that i use for US internet content already, so the programming would work.
    This box is only compatible with a seties 2 Tivo for recording, guide data etc.
    So,
    if I was to buy a lifetime subbed series 2 Tivo from ebay in the US, the later software versions on this box can do their initial call and guide data downlads over wi fi or ethernet connection, some folks in America who have no landline use them; is there any reason why I, in theory couldn't get this to work in the UK.
    I have a US mailing address and phone number, that I already use for Netflix etc.
    If my internet connection is via us vpn, i have a us address and phon number, guide data is coming over the us vpn, can anyone think of any other problems i have not thought of.
    I am not saying i will definately do this, could be costly in shipping the tivo, but it is something i would potentially like to do if possible.
    Any ideas if it wold work or not.
    Thanks

2. steveroe

steveroe Must do some work...

Oct 29, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    US Series 2 is certainly comptabile with Sky Angel (http://www.skyangel.com/tivo/TiVo-STB_Setup.pdf) so it may work.

You might need a voltage step down transformer if the Tivo power supply is not 110/240 switchable/compatbile.

The only way to be sure is to try it... Make sure you can get the Sky Angel box working first, just in case the VPN causes problems etc!

An interesting idea, do report back.

3. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    You might consider the S2DT (TCD649xxx). You won't get any use out of the second tuner but it has a built-in ethernet port and even the original 7.2.5 software that it shipped with supports networking. TTG transfer speeds are also better than some of the early S2s.

The power supply isn't switchable, so I would use a step down transformer to feed a UPS made for the US. That way the TiVo would get the 120V, 60Hz current that it was designed for.