Ups

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Ken671, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Ken671

Ken671 New Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Alabaster AL

Advertisements

Has anyone put there DVR on a Backup Power Supply. I don't know whats wrong but DirecTV replaced my fried HR10-250 with either a new or old HR10-250. This unit seems to take up to 90 mins to reboot and start completely. My area is prone to power outages due to developments surrounding my area. I was wondering if its ok to put the unit on UPS.

2. maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN
    Yes it is highly recommended that Tivos be run on a UPS.

3. heaphus

heaphus Geaux Tigers!

Aug 30, 2004
    SE. Louisiana
    It's fine and, a great idea, to use a ups with the HR10. Many here do, and I used to until mine finally died. I need to pick up another one.

4. aVOLanche

aVOLanche New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Beautiful...
    What kind of UPS?Most of the less expensive ones are a battery back-up+a plain old surge protector.
    The better units have AVR(automatic voltage regulation) "for brownouts",plus the above (battery+ surge).I've read many times where power fluctuations and very minor surges/drops(like an appliance cutting on) are the real culprit in damaging electronics.Not lightening and big power-line surges.
    So,what do we need?

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH

Advertisements

AVR is not important for a TiVo. All you need is one that will not allow the power to drop out, and even the cheapest ones will do that. The difference is that the AVR units won't drop to battery as quickly as the non-AVR ones will in the presence of a brownout.

That said, I prefer to go midline (550VA or so) to get a slightly higher quality charging circuit.

6. herdfan

herdfan New Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Hurricane, WV
    And if you have a powered multiswitch and want to make sure you are able to record during an outage, put a UPS on it too.

Learned that the hard way.

7. aVOLanche

aVOLanche New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Beautiful...
    Steve,I take it that you are saying most failures come from a loss of power to the hard drive?So a battery backup is all that's needed and we don't need to be too concerned about minor power fluctuations. Fred

8. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    What I'm saying is that the TiVo has a switching power supply which is very tolerant of voltage swings and therefore does not benefit from AVR. All you really need is something that keeps the power flowing.

9. dmurphy

dmurphy Home Again

Jan 16, 2002
    Well, that makes me feel better. I have a BackUPS 1200 and a SmartUPS 1000.

I put the BackUPS on the TiVo & DVD recorder, and the SmartUPS on my Macintosh.

I was a wee bit concerned about the BackUPS on the TiVo since it doesn't condition the power the same way a SmartUPS does (battery output isn't smoothed to sine-wave output).

Makes me feel better if you think AVR isn't necessary.

(I also have a small Belkin 400va unit powering my router, cable modem and multiswitch. When I had the breaker panel upgraded to 200amp service in the house, I was able to work wirelessly for over 5 hours and that little Belkin kept right on going. :)

10. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Devices with transformer-based power supplies like AVR and sine-wave power. Computer-type switching power supplies as in TiVos (and Macs and PCs) are much less fussy.

11. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    Just a point of clarification, I'd put your TV on the backup UPS as well, might as well!

12. Dmtalon

Dmtalon I love Tivo...

Dec 27, 2003
    West...
    I have my DLP, and TIVO on the UPS. Since the TV's OS always 'cools' off the light, I didn't want a brown/black out shutting the bulb down in a hurry.

So far so good... (knocking on wood)

Actually, I put a UPS on everything in the house that has a hard-drive in it. Every PC, Tivo etc... HDD's don't generally like to have power pulled out from under them.

13. lynesjc

lynesjc New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Simpsonville...
    Yep, all my IT and HT gear are on UPS. Highly recommend it. You can get them pretty cheap at Sam's Club. Especially if you live in an area prone to ice storms and severe t-storms.

14. SpankyInChicago

SpankyInChicago New Member

May 13, 2005
    I have three HT setups in my house.

All three are on Belkin 1500va AVR UPS systems.

System 1:

HR10-250
    Denon Receiver
    Sony 42" RPLCD

System 2:

HR10-250
    DVD Player
    Sharp Aquos 37" LCD

System 3:

HR10-250
    Pioneer Receiver
    Sony DVD Recorder
    Toshiba HD-DVD Player
    10" powered sub
    Mits 65" RPCRT

I haven't yet had a total power outage while watching any of the setups. But have experienced brown-out situations numerous times on all setups and they never miss a beat.

A lot of times these brownouts will occur at 10 or 15 second intervals a few times in a row. This is the exact type of power cycling that is terrible for equipment.