UPS with Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Stormydog, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Mar 24, 2011 #1 of 124
    Stormydog

Stormydog Member

Oct 13, 2010

Advertisements

I have a newer Premium XL. We seem to have power losses for a few seconds from time to time. Only a couple of times it affected my S2.
    I am wondering if anyone uses a uninteruptable power supply with the HD TV, Tivo and stereo plugged in to handle power loss? Supposedly my house has whole house surge protection, so any additional protection would help.

2. Mar 24, 2011 #2 of 124
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I think you'll find a lot of people here use UPSes with their TiVos (here's an old poll thread from 2009).

I've got a monster APC J15 in the main media cabinet in the family room where the Premiere is. My other TiVos just have more basic UPSes connected to them ... just enough to keep them running through brief power outages.

3. Mar 24, 2011 #3 of 124
    janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Absolutely. Won't plug in a TiVo without one.

4. Mar 24, 2011 #4 of 124
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    +1.
    Well, the TiVo is plugged into the battery side, I know the TV is just plugged into surge protection, not battery, and I'm pretty sure the receiver is as well (or at least should be).

To run the TV and receiver I'd want a much bigger UPS. And if I get a short power-outage it's simple enough to hit 8-second back on the TiVo a few times to catch what I missed.

But if you want the TiVo to continue recording during a short power outage you'll also need to see if there are any other items in the signal path that need power. (powered coax amplifier; powered splitter; fiber OTP [for those lucky FIOS viewers], etc)

5. Mar 24, 2011 #5 of 124
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL

Advertisements

Yeah. In my last full test of the APC J15 I was able to watch TV on my 42" plasma for 10 minutes before it sucked the batteries dry. :)

6. Mar 24, 2011 #6 of 124
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    A TiVo is a computer AND sensitive electronics AND a real-time device. I would never use any of the three without them being on a UPS. A "surge suppressor" is not enough because it does not keep the power going, which can cause data loss, corruption, equipment failure, and (of course) inconvenience.

I have a single UPS that handles my TV, computer, monitor, printer, cable modem, router, phone, UPS, amplifier, CD player, DVD player, Wii, tuning adapter, and, of course, my TiVo. At a minimum, you would want a UPS at least large enough for the TiVo and tuning adapter.

7. Mar 24, 2011 #7 of 124
    orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I found this to be a useful tool from APC: http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/

I ended up getting an APC BACK-UPS XS 1500VA for my entertainment center, and an APC BACK-UPS XS 1300VA for my home office. In a hurricane, I figure I have about 10 minutes of TV time to catch up on any news...

8. Mar 24, 2011 #8 of 124
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003

hate the damn things. Every time I've used a UPS it's been more trouble than it's worth (battery replacement, batteries burning up / emitting toxic fumes, UPS shutting down due to bad batteries on a minor brownout, inability to deliver promised wattage or runtime, etc). My experiences do tend to differ from most, who seem highly in favor of the UPS. For me, it's just yet another device consuming power, emitting waste heat, and costing money to prevent against a relatively unimportant problem. It's just TV -- I can replace a lost program easily enough.

In my decade plus of Tivo ownership, including ownership in Arizona where lightning/thunderstorms and power outages are common during monsoon season, I've never had a Tivo in any way damaged by a power outage.

9. Mar 24, 2011 #9 of 124
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I've been lucky so far. No power fluctuations here usually, so I do without a UPS.
    A while back, we were in a deep freeze (for Texas :p) and were subject to rolling blackouts strategic power outages that made me wish I had a UPS. :( Luckily it didn't affect any sheduled recordings. :)

10. Mar 24, 2011 #10 of 124
    ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    In 1997 a lightning strike on a cable head close to my house either totally fried or made kinda crazy every bit of direct ac powered electronics in the house except, oddly enough, the single family computer. Literally cooked the cable lead up to the house ground and ate the garage door opener. Since then, everything has been on UPS or, for high current draw stuff, on high quality surge protectors. So I have a half dozen batteries to replace every five years but so what? Nothing ever has to be reset or have life shortened due to voltage/power flux or minor outages and my TiVos, computers, flat panels, and even the garage door opener are completely protected.

11. Mar 24, 2011 #11 of 124
    KenVa

KenVa Member

Aug 31, 2005
    I keep thinking I should have my tivos on a UPS, but I have one question for those of you that do. Do all or most UPSs restart when the power returns after the power has been out for long enough to fully drain the battery and it has shutdown. I fear that when I'm away there could be a long power outage and tivos would never come back up to do scheduled recordings. :eek:

12. Mar 24, 2011 #12 of 124
    orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    According to this example with a computer:
    So I imagine once the utility company restores power, the UPS would again supply power to the TiVo, and recording would continue.

13. Mar 24, 2011 #13 of 124
    daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    In some UPS units, the unit can be programmed or set to not turn back on if it fails and shuts of during an outage (thereby dropping the load). There may be an instance when you want this to be the case. I have done this with my UPS that also powers a raid5 storage device. Once the UPS has shutdown do to the battery being spent, I want to be the one to power up my raid storage and be there to check things out.

14. Mar 25, 2011 #14 of 124
    westom

westom Member

Jan 15, 2010
    If your 'whole house' protector is properly earthed, then best hardware protection already exists. A UPS does (and only claims to do) one thing. Provide temporary and 'dirtiest' power during a blackout. To keep the Tivo recording during a blackout. The UPS is only power during blackouts. Does nothing else. Read its spec numbers.

As another noted, a UPS is so cheap as to have a three year life expectancy. Once its battery dies, then its only function ends.

BTW, if your cable or other incoming wires (ie telephone) are also not properly earthed, then all protection is compromised. That cable also must connect short (ie 'less than 10 feet') to a same earth ground used by the 'whole house' protector. Not via any protector. A direct wire connection. Also essential to protecting a TV and Tivo hardware.

15. Mar 25, 2011 #15 of 124
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    the 1500 models work great. I use a bunch of them with the extended runtime batteries attached. With those attached I can get between 2 hours and 19 hours of runtime depending on the devices connected in that UPS.

16. Mar 25, 2011 #16 of 124
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

With the APC units you can use the powerchute software to configure the UPS from the USB connection and a PC. You can select what level for the UPS to come on after the battery has been discharged. You can also select the high and low voltage point that the batteries kick in. AS well as not having an alarm go off everytime it's running on batteries.

Without that option it would be pretty loud with the 12+ APC UPSs I'm using.

I've been running these for many years with no problems. Except years ago when I had an old 32" tube set on on one. The power supply was going in the TV and it blew the capacitors in the UPS. APC replaced it under warranty, and then it happened again as soon as I got the replacement. This is when i realized that something was wrong with the TV. It had been used with a UPS for many years with no issues. APC again repaced the UPS under warranty and I had the power supply replaced in the TV,

17. Mar 25, 2011 #17 of 124
    comma splice

comma splice Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Here's a noob question about these devices with a TiVo:

The primary (only?) way to restart your TiVo is by powercycling it (i.e. unplugging the power cord from the back of the TiVo and then plugging it back in), right?

So if that is the TiVo-approved method and doesn't hurt the TiVo (unless you do it all the time, I suppose), why would a power outage harm anything?

18. Mar 25, 2011 #18 of 124
    daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    When you power cycle, there is always a chance (no matter how small) of your hard drive not coming back. You are correct in saying it shouldn't hurt to do it sometimes, but if it occurs on a regular basis you can cuase yourself problems. The TiVo is simply a computer and you wouldn't start and restart your computer every day by pulling the plug would you?

The other thing protected by the UPS is your recordings. During high winds or storms, when you lights may blink on and off repeatedly, you keep recording and keep from repeated power cycling of your device. Many also protects against brown outs.

IMHO, anything with a HD should be on a UPS.

19. Mar 25, 2011 #19 of 124
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    (You can reboot from one of the TiVo menus. OTOH if you need to reboot there's a chance it's because you can't use the menus)
    But there's still a difference between power off, wait a couple seconds, power on and random power fluctuations where it gives less than full voltage (UPS will kick onto battery to provide full voltage) or repeatedly cuts out for very short times.

I believe the later is more potentially damaging than just cleanly removing all the power and the cleanly reapplying 100% power.

20. Mar 25, 2011 #20 of 124
    daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    You are correct. It has the potential to corrupt data and increase the likelihood of drive failure. And all it takes is a one second power outage to miss the last couple minutes of a show - or that crucial moment you've been waiting all season to see. Or the last two mins of the game to end all games.