1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UPS choice for Tivo OTA and entourage???

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Intheswamp, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    I'm a soon-to-be new owner of a Roamio OTA and a Mini. I've never used a UPS with our televison/avr/satellite-receiver-dvr setup though we've always had a good surge protector inline. We're rural, so we do get brownouts, short power outages, and sometimes longer power outages that may last several hours. The outages are really rare, but they do happen. Brownouts would be my main concern.

Here is a list of current and new additions to the setup:

Panasonic 50" plasma pro-panel...480w
    Audio/Video Receiver..................460w
    Juice preamp.............................minimal (can't find power use figures)
    Small Blu Ray player...................minimal ""
    Samsung DVD/VHS recorder........58w
    (new) Tivo OTA........................~15w (someone tested it with a Kill-a-Watt meter..tnx!)

So, to cover everything I'd have to have a 1000w UPS and that would basically leave zero headroom...of course the smaller pieces wouldn't all be running at the same time. But still it would require a sizeable UPS for just the Plasma and the Denon AVReceiver.

I've thought of just getting a small UPS w/AVR to simply protect the Tivo and antenna preamp...this would insure recordings aren't interrupted and also protect the Tivo...there would be enough headroom to include the two removable media players. I'm thinking something in the 400w range of UPS's would be by far enough wattage for this.

But, I've also looked at the idea of upgrading the plasma at a later time for a newer, more energy efficient, television. That would drop the television power requirement by probably 300-watts!!! So a ~900w UPS would cover everything pretty well...but a bit more expensive.

Just some musings here on Black Friday to cover my soon-to-be here Tivo OTA. :) I'm really trying to keep this item down around $100 so probably the lower powered option has to be my choice. Any input is appreciated. Any input is appreciated!!

2. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    I use a single UPS per TiVo.
    All UPSs have more than one device connected...
    My UPS strategy is to prevent power failure related reboots and surge protection, it is not intended to be a long term (over 30 minutes) backup power supply.

Like you, the power in my area rarely ever goes out for more than a few minutes, but experiences many small glitches.
    The duration for some is enough to have to reset oven and microwave clocks.
    Mostly just a momentary blip that the lights dim, but is long enough to make the UPS alarms squawk, or cause a TiVo to reboot.
    I have APC and Cyber Power units.
    Note: the batteries need to be replaced every couple of years.
    Here are some to consider:

upload_2017-11-24_8-52-42.jpeg
    APC - Back-UPS 450VA Battery Back-Up System - Black
    $25.99
    Best Buy
    41% price drop
    CyberPower 425VA/225W Simulated Sine Wave Power Supply, Multicolor
    $32.95
    Walmart
    (42)
    APC Back-UPS Pro 1500VA UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector (BR1500G)
    $169.95
    Amazon.com
    Free shipping
    APC Back-UPS 650VA Battery Backup, 7 Outlet with USB Charging Port (BN650M1)
    $54.99
    Staples
    (738)
    CyberPower Standby Series CP350SLG 350 VA 255 Watts 6 Outlets UPS
    $39.95
    Newegg.com
    (38)
    APC Back-UPS 650VA UPS
    $83.99
    CDW
    (1k+)

kpeters59 likes this.
  3. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes, keeping the Tivo from rebooting is our primary goal. We've used some APC units at the shop in the past and they worked well. I'm wondering if any of these have the option for silencing the alarms...I'm deaf to the high-pitched beeping so it wouldn't bother me too much in the middle of the night but my wife is another story...and the WAF is of paramount importance!!! :eek:

4. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Good question.
    Probably not, short of neutering the beeper in some way.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I've never seen a decent UPS that didn't have a method of turning off the alarm. Some even allow you to not have one at all. As for size, if you are home first thing you do is turn off everything not needed, so runtime isn't a major issue. I have both CyberPower and APC. Sometimes they even publish efficiency too. I only want my TiVo and its wireless bridge to run when power fails. The protected devices, like TV, AVR, and Blu-ray I turn off.

My 40" Sony panel uses 40 Watts. What a difference.

6. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    Good to hear about the ability to silence the chirper. When we had the UPSs at the shop people would walk up and say "You don't hear that?" and I wouldn't be hearing it...and the UPS was sitting on my desk. :oops: Those high-pitched sounds and rattlesnake buzzes...they all elude me. :(

Yes, when the power failed at the shop the UPSs weren't used to continue to run the computers for us to work on but rather to run them long enough to shut them down. I figure that with any decently-sized UPS that the Tivo and antenna preamp should run for a half-hour or so anyhow.

Amazing how technology has made these panels more efficient. When we bought the Pro Panel the LCDs' viewing angles were not that good...move to the left or right and the image would start to dim, thus we opted for the plasma panel. It's been a solid performer and the image is still good even though it is 720p. We go for a less brilliant, non-store display mode and the 720p works well for our seating distance. Those 1080 screens are looking good, though, and definitely have come down in price!!! I was looking at the return on investment of going with a new television and in five years moving to a television using 70-watts from our current 480-watt torch and running the TV for 5 hours a day would equate to roughly $700 electricity savings. Definitely food for thought!!!

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I know what you mean. Even the weight is a surprise. But the use of external power bricks, which some dislike, allow a cooler and slimmer panel. I haven't made the 4k jump yet since I would need a new AVR and there is a lack of content. But it will happen someday. Maybe next year. If Monday brings a good discount on the Mini VOX, it may be the device that gets me moving.

BTW, I was a big APC fan. But there is better value in CyberPower. I have 1000VA and 1500VA units. A Mini with its TV and wireless bridge live off a 450VA unit.

8. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    This discussion has been had on this forum before... if you care to search.

The best bang for the buck is a Cyberpower 1350VA UPS @ Costco for $100.... and that's the truth.

rpiotro likes this.
  9. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    JoeKustra, I hadn't thought about the new televisions having power bricks but I don't have an issue with them. I can see how it'd let the panels run a lot cooler. I know that with our plasma, well, put some wieners on a stick and hold'em over the top edge and have a cookout.<grin> Been difference in the power requirement between a plasma and LED, that's for sure!!! I've been homing in on the Cyberpowers, they seem to be well regarded. Currently I've got a 1350va in a shopping cart...I figure this will cover the Tivo and preamp with *no* problem and would also handle an LED television if we opt to go that route later on. As for 4k...I'm not sure if we'll get there or not....1080 would be a big move for us! ;) In regards to a UPS, it seems like automatic voltage regulation (AVR) is one of the important features of a UPS so that's a requirement I'm staying aware of.

Howdy just4tivo. I had seen where the $100 Costco Cyberpower 1350VA UPS was recommended but for the life of me I have not been able to pull one of those up on their website. Looks like there's a 1080VA APC now listed for $100. There is a 1500VA Cyberpower for $130 listed which I'm considering, but I think a lower capacity unit would probably work for me.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    When it comes to an on-line purchase, you need to check the bottom line since it needs to factor in tax and shipping. A UPS is heavy. As for AVR, any UPS is better than no UPS. One thing that you don't need is a "smart" UPS. Some, like those CyberPower units, have some configuration ability. So I set them with my PC then remove the software. That's how I can disable the alarm. When power fails on most units their front panel LED displays come on. That's good enough for me.

Also you should consider: is a brick or tower the best fit for my system? If it doesn't matter, then don't worry about it.

11. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    The 1350VA has NEVER been on the Costco website. You have to go to Costco to get one.

Costco might be contractually prohibited from offering it online cause it's so much better a deal than the 1080VA unit everyone else sells so Cyberpower doesn't get too much grief from the legitimate dealer channel.

Sometimes you just have to get up from your keyboard for the best product at the best price.

12. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    :) Thanks for the info about it being a store item at Costco. The problem for me with that is that getting up from my keyboard and going to Costco involves a roughly 60 mile one-way drive to Montgomery. We do go to Montgomery roughly every six weeks or so so if I haven't gotten an UPS by then I will definitely look that up (I'll look'em up even if I have already gotten one!!! :) ). Seems I've seen some there but naturally at that time I wasn't shopping for one and didn't pay attention to what they were. I do appreciate the info!!!!

13. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    Thanks again for the feedback. Yes, I check out the shipping charges and try to check sales tax charges, too, on online purchases. Sometime you dodge the tax man, sometime you don't.

I think I'll go with a tower. We don't have a fancy setup, just a 50" screen sitting on a glass fronted stand and a tangle of wires behind it. I might even try to straighten up the wiring a bit while I'm at it...maybe. ;) I was wondering if the computer was used in setting up the UPS, especially the alarm...thanks for sharing that!

14. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    For what it is worth, I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZT2KKM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I was having trouble with my Oppo 203 UHD player which I imagined might be power issues, and I got this because it uses a more advanced system to produce cleaner power (at least according to the marketing blurbs that want to convince you to buy a more expensive unit). (P.S. I wasn't having power problems, I eventually found the HDMI input I was using wasn't very robust - connecting the Oppo to a different HDMI input on the TV solved all my problems, but I had already gotten the new UPS by then). The TiVo and the TV and the Oppo and my computer are all running off it with no problems.

15. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Totally

May 8, 2006
    For what it's worth, I use a voltage line conditioner but not an UPS.

16. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    How large of a UPS would be needed to run a TiVo Roamio OTA for one hour ?

17. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    Thanks for the reply. Sometimes a misdirection can turn into a good thing. I would think your equipment is in a safer state with the UPS protecting them, even if it was bought to try to solve a problem that required other solutions. Nice UPS, btw!!!

18. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    A Roamio only draws about 17-20 watts, so even a fairly small UPS with a single battery should run it for several hours.

19. Intheswamp

Intheswamp South Alabama

Nov 14, 2017
    From what I understand the OTA runs at 15-16 watts...a light load. According to the calculator at Cyberpower A 330-350 watt UPS *should* run the Tivo OTA for an hour. YMMV. Reasonably larger is better. If you will be using a preamp for your antenna don't forget to include it with the Tivo...if power is cut off most of the preamps don't pass a strong signal through them. AVR (automatic voltage regulation) appears to be a good characteristic of a UPS...in my feeble mind it "makes sense". Here is a small UPS with AVR: CyberPower CP685AVR AVR UPS . For about $40 more you could get a UPS at Costco that would most likely cover your entire entertainment setup...it appears this is a store item and not listed on the internet...it is 1350va so roughly a little over 800-watts. Best wishes on your UPS search!!!!!!

ETA: Looks like ggieseke has a slightly higher wattage for the OTA...which is probably the case, but as he/she said...a small UPS will work and what I linked to should do a good job.

20. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    They've been upgrading the on steel utility poles 3 times in the past few months turning off the electricity. Last time they said they would start at 8pm and the dvr did end up missing some recordings. So next time I'll probably buy a UPS just not to miss anything.