Upon Further Review: Invasion

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by IndyJones1023, Dec 27, 2005.

1. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    I caught up the other day, and am thinking this show doesn't have a direction. It is sucking wind and I don't think they can right the ship. I had troubles with it from the start, and it apparently is going nowhere real fast.

The topper was the sherriff convincing the now-two armed Lucas to cut his arm off. Huh? What on earth could convince him to do that? And how could he do it alone? And the whole "Dave captive" scenario was beyond stupid. They're all on the same side, not revealing anything, and getting nowhere fast.

Bah, season pass on the precipice of deletion.

2. speedy4022

speedy4022 New Member

Nov 27, 2000
    Idaho
    I deleted my SP a after about 5 episodes the show just has no direction and is boring. Thank god Battlestar Galactica is coming back this month. :up:

3. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Well, since they cancelled the two superior genre programs, Threshold and Night Stalker, and since Surface sucks much worse, I'll stick it out with Invasion and hope they find a direction to follow.

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think it DOES have a direction. They're just not spoon-feeding it to us, and too many people lack the patience to enjoy that kind of slow-burn show.

Which is too bad, because as the outlines of the direction start to settle in, it is becoming one of my favorite shows.
    This was discussed at length in the thread for that episode. Some feel that the Sheriff was able to manipulate him due to the combination of his religious fervor and the intense confusion that newly-born aliens seem to feel. In short, he preyed on his weakness.
    Yeah, but it makes sense--the only people who have a clue that something is going on are either government agents or conspiracy freaks, and conspiracy freaks are paranoid enough not to trust anybody. I suspect it's when Ranger Bob gets sucked in, and brings a little common sense into the Resistence, that they start to become effective.

5. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm going to stick it out with Invasion. It's not great, the plot moves slower than molasses at Ice Station Zebra and I still don't know half the character's names. It has the potential to be good and should get better towards the season finale.

6. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    What about Connie being shot. It's preposterous that a lone sniper was sent to shoot one person.

7. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    Invasion is a show that has been growing on me. I can appreciate, and have been enjoying, the 'slow burn," though I admit it was touch-and-go for a while and there were a few episodes where I almost threw in the towel. Now I'm pretty captivated and I'm looking forward to it returning.

For me, watching Invasion is like watching running tapwater (if you're an EBE, that is) - slow, languorous, yet oddly compelling and somehow... velvety. I'm finding myself drawn to it.

8. ellinj

ellinj Seems Very Friendly TCF Club

Feb 26, 2002
    NoVa
    Suprised you held in this long, my sp was gone months ago. Same for Threshold and Surface

9. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    I kinda like it...*shrug*

10. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    :confused:

A lone sniper is often shown in TV.
    What's so preposterous about it?

Invasion has been slow but it seems to be paying off right now while Surface is meandering some.

Threshold? The less said the better.

11. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    I've held onto my SP for some reason, even though I've got 5 still unwatched, and I have almost no desire to fire one up. Maybe tonight I'll give it one last shot with a mini-marathon.

12. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Okay, some government group is apparently on to Healy and Connie. So they have them tracked down to a building in the middle of nowhere. Why shoot only Connie? Was it 5pm? Did the sniper need to go home? If I was Dave or Park Ranger Man, I'd be freaking out that more gunmen are on their way inside. But that didn't happen. One shot, outta there. :confused:

13. cancermatt

cancermatt No Pop Culture Here.

May 20, 2002
    Newhall, CA...
    Around here (except for Rob and I who stuck it out on the board), everyone hates Invasion. I have liked it from the start, but really really like it now. To all the haters who do nothing but boast of deleting the SP, they're missing out. It's got direction, but you're out of the loop. To some, that's fine. I'm enjoying it without them. :)

You really need to do a search for the individual episodes, we discussed it just a "little" bit! :)

14. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    The ratings for Invasion have been falling steadily since its premiere. Don't be surprised if it is cancelled, although no official announcement has been made (as far as I know).

15. mrmike

mrmike Custom User Title

May 2, 2001
    Invasion goes in the "Lost" bucket for me. They may have a direction, there may be a payoff, but they've annoyed me so much that I'm not sure I'll make it there before they start piling up unviewed on my TiVo.

16. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I was about five episodes behind, but I got caught up this weekend and am glad I did. This is a good show, and it's really starting to move. I'll be watching along with you and Rob.

Um, well, the only announcement about the show so far is that ABC picked it up for the full season...

17. DavidTigerFan

DavidTigerFan No, not Detroit. TCF Club

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    I think i gave up months ago. Theres a few on my tivo still but they get overwritten when I need space. Have they made it past 2 weeks after the hurricane? I mean 10 episodes in they were still cleaning up after it.

18. jstr

jstr New Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Looks like ABC made a decision. It's interesting that there is some debate about the benefit of being aired right after Lost.
    The following quote is from SCI FI WIRE :

12:00 AM, 22-JANUARY-06
    ABC Sticks With Invasion

Stephen McPherson, president, ABC Entertainment, told reporters that the network's SF series Invasion, created by Shaun Cassidy, isn't going away. Just yet.

"Invasion, you know, is a show that I think is doing the best work it's ever done. It is a great, great television show," McPherson said in a news conference at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour in Pasadena, Calif., on Jan. 21. McPherson expressed confidence in the show, about alien influences in a small Florida town in the wake of a disastrous hurricane, despite the series' lackluster ratings in the wake of its Wednesday-night lead-in, the megahit Lost.

For his part, Invasion's executive producer Cassidy told SCI FI Wire that he thinks ABC will stay with the show. "I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll recognize the incredible quality of our program," he said in an interview, with tongue slightly in cheek. "I think they do, actually. My theory about our timeslot is that ... following Lost has been a good-news, bad-news proposition for us. And I wouldn't have said this six months ago, because I would have thought, 'Well, it's fantastic. What could be bad?' Here's what I think could be bad: You have a very intelligent, dense, novel-like show in Lost. I would venture to say in all humility our show is very similar in that sense. I think it requires a great deal of commitment on the part of any audience member to sit for two and sometimes three hours, because they run Lost at 8 often. Writers on my own staff say to me, when I ask on Thursday morning, 'Did you see the show last night?' 'Well, no, because I watched Lost and then I was so tired. I Tivo'd it.' L.A. Weekly said we're the number-one Tivo show in America, and I think it might be true. ... I think our show might actually benefit from being on a different night."

As to whether ABC might actually consider moving Invasion, Cassidy added: "They talked to me about moving after we premiered. Not like, 'We're going to move you.' But the conversation has always been, 'Is this a good thing or a bad thing?' Nobody was really sure."

In another context, McPherson said: "It may be the reality that what's compatible with Lost is a lighter viewing experience, either before it or after it." Invasion airs Wednesdays at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

19. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Dear Mr. Cassidy, things actually happen on Lost. Your show moves slower than a glacier in January, on Pluto.

The last episode underwhelmed me so much that I didn't bother creating a thread for it.

20. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    Ditto. I had high hopes, but they just didn't grab me. I expected at least one would, but no.