UPN & WB TO CEASE OPERATIONS

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by patonenow, Jan 24, 2006.

1. patonenow

patonenow New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    CENTRAL...

Advertisements

WB & UPN to cease ops

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CNN is reporting:
    Warner Brothers, CBS joining to create CW Network; WB and UPN to cease operations, according to CBS chairman Les Moonves.

This CW network replaces both of them in the fall. Yet another network aimed at 18-34 year olds

2. mwarner

mwarner New Member

Dec 12, 2000
    North Carolina
    Or you could view it as one less network in the fall. Wonder what all those cities that have both a UPN and WB are going to do. One of those stations will have to change.

3. CsrLiz344

CsrLiz344 New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Ohio
    We never had either one, on D*, they are owned by the cable company, so I guess we won't be missing anything......

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Check this thread on AVS for more info.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=635448

I guess it would be useless to continue to complain about DirecTV not offering WB and UPN. :) I wonder if DirecTV will off a national or regional feed of the new channel? He asks rhetorically. :D

5. Draven X. Byrne

Draven X. Byrne Pope to the TiVos

Jun 2, 2003
    Hailing...

Advertisements

According to the press release all Cris Craft stations and all WGN stations will survive - all else die . . . .

:eek:

DXB

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    What about the cable only versions of The WB? I hope they die as well, so my area can get a full power station of the merged two.

7. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
  8. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I haven't gotten to the Happy Hour yet. :)

9. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    D* already offers a WB feed from Miami or San Diego, if you are in a LIL market & DON'T have a local WB, so assuming those stations retain the new network, I don't see any reason why D* wouldn't continue to do this.

Of course, I know this doesn't help you guys that are NOT in a LIL market...

10. Trebor1

Trebor1 New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin Tx-we have both WB and UPN on the D*

awful sound and picture....but its there.

11. kdonnel

kdonnel DVC-BCV

Nov 28, 2000
    Metro...
    Atlanta has had WB and UPN on DirecTV as well.

It seems like they will be freeing up some bandwidth as they cut those markets from 2 to 1 channel.

In Atlanta it sounds like WUPN will become CW while WATL(WB) will ether become independent or cease to exist.

I guess if it becomes independent then it could still end up on DirecTV and not save any bandwidth.

12. IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    So, the $64 question is, this new "WC" will it operate on the WB or UPN channel?

In Phoenix WB is 61 and UPN is 45.

13. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Ding Ding Ding. I can only hope now that the merged station will provide an OTA signal I can receive. Then it's good bye to the Superstation pack.

Although this is moot now. I didn't see why DirecTV couldn't have offered a regional WB to us in unserved LIL markets.

Did I mention here that our WB is cable only?

14. LostCluster

LostCluster Member

Feb 10, 2002
    Look like it's a market-by-market call. In the big ones, Tribine stations and UPN O&Os form the backbone, and in markets that overlap a Tribune trumps a UPN O&O.

Smaller market... still to be heard. Most likely will go to whoever has the stronger signal unless the weaker signal is willing to pay more.

15. IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    DTV offers 45 & 61 over SAT101 and is covered under my locals for Phoenix, AZ.

I also receive 45.1 & 61.1 OTA.

Maybe we'll have a 55.5 in the middle for the combined CW network. :)

16. Phanatic

Phanatic New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Bethlehem, PA
    In the Philly area, we're losing the WB (Ch. 17) and CW will be operating on the current UPN channel (Ch. 57).

17. csweeny

csweeny TIVO Junkie

Jun 9, 2004
    Northern...
    In DC WB (50.1) will become CW and UPN (20.1) will continue to operate but will have to find new programming. Fine by me since I can't get 20.1 OTA but I can get 50.1.

18. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    I guess they shouldn't have cancelled Angel & Enterprise. :D

19. Typorir

Typorir New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Angel maybe, but Enterprise was an insult to humanity ;)

20. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    It was getting better the last season.