Upload from PC to Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by gsully, Mar 16, 2005.

1. gsully

gsully New Member

Mar 16, 2005

Advertisements

Anyone know how to move video from my PC to the Tivo?

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Use the TV out on your PC to record to the analog in on your TiVo. If yo are thinking of the networks somehow, not doable yet.

3. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    to expand on that,
    he means to record the video played by your PC TV out card on the TiVo.

by networks he meant having an etehrnet hookup on the PC and the TiVo (home network) and being able to move the file as a file onto the TiVo.
    There is no way to do that without hacking the box right now.
    This forum has an informal gathering in Las Vegas once a year(I could not make it) and they get UNOFFICIAL thoughts from TiVo at that. At that convention it has been reported that a feature to move files back onto the TiVo for playback was high on the list of things to add. Also a survey TiVo did on line for TiVoToGO features had that as the number one feature people would like to see added.
    so unoficially it looks good
    but no offiical word has come from TiVo on added features for TiVoToGo

4. Steve70592

Steve70592 New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    I agree. That would be a great feature. I have some home movies on my PC hard drive that it would be great to pull up via Tivo and watch in the living room. Why we can do this for music and pictures, but not video files, is beyond me. What were they thinking? I'd even go through the trouble of converting my .mpg's to a "tivo compatible" file to get this functionality.

5. schalliol

schalliol New Member

Feb 13, 2003

Advertisements

This is an old thread, but I thought I'd bump it because I would like to upload from my Mac (or Win - I have XP running on my Mac too) to TiVo. Heck, if you can download content from your TiVo to put on an iPod, and you can have podcasts directly on the TiVo, why not upload non DRM-enabled videos? It'd be nice to upload videos of my 9 month old for easy playback when people come over, or even videos from work to demonstrate our augmented reality technology.

6. azitnay

azitnay Active Member

Jan 20, 2003
    Washington,...
    In the time between the last post on this thread and your post (over a year), TiVo Desktop has gained support for this. It's PC-only at the moment, however. It will hopefully be supported on a Mac via TiVo Desktop later this year. In the meantime, check out Galleon.

Drew

7. xnevergiveinx

xnevergiveinx New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    i've done it before. you just need to make sure the video is mpeg, also tivo only likes certain types of mpegs for some reason. then just drop that file in the folder where you have your tivo recordings for tivo desktop. then navigate on your tivo to connect to your computer and try to play that file.

8. azitnay

azitnay Active Member

Jan 20, 2003
    Washington,...
  9. schalliol

schalliol New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Interesting, somehow I missed that when checking out TTG. Thanks!

10. scooterbuddymama

scooterbuddymama New Member

Mar 3, 2006
    How do you change from MPEG-3 to MPEG 2?

11. azitnay

azitnay Active Member

Jan 20, 2003
    Washington,...