Upload (Amazon Prime) (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by scooterboy, May 2, 2020.

1. May 2, 2020 #1 of 79
    scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I was really looking forward to this and after watching the first episode I'm unsure. I liked the premise a lot, but something about the production seemed a bit "Hallmark Channel Movie" to me.

Seeing him discover aspects/gadgets/customs of the resort(?) was fun. I hope there's more of that. And they made it pretty obvious that there was foul play involved in his accident, so that will unfold.

Cautiously optimistic for a light piece of entertainment.

TataBeha likes this.
  2. May 2, 2020 #2 of 79
    TataBeha

TataBeha New Member

Nov 5, 2019
    So Yeah, Im addicted. S.O. and I binged 5 Episodes last night after catching one commercial.
    5!!!!!!
    Lol, Thanks, now I DO see a "Hallmark Channel" movie vibe with the shooting, but that may be to keep a Lighter aspect of it, since its supposed to have a comical side as well.

Im trying not to binge entire season in 2 evenings, but We're really enjoying it. Has a Black Mirror tone to it

3. May 2, 2020 #3 of 79
    wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    I really wanted to like it but, given the pedigree I expected something very different. Not saying I hate it but I certainly don't love it.

TataBeha likes this.
  4. May 3, 2020 #4 of 79
    scooterboy

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I watched 3 more and, despite the HMC vibe, I'm in. I want to learn about the nefarious plot.

jasrub and TataBeha like this.
  5. May 3, 2020 #5 of 79
    wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    So when the plump, big-glasses "detective" showed up it was just a matter of time before she was killed off; that was inevitable. I guess Nora will have to take up the case.

TataBeha likes this.
  6. May 3, 2020 #6 of 79
    wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Finished it this morning. I enjoyed the last few episodes more. Unexpected twist at the end.

TataBeha likes this.
  7. May 3, 2020 #7 of 79
    TataBeha

TataBeha New Member

Nov 5, 2019

Yes We finished it as well! Really great cliff hanger ending. Hope Season 2 will be just as Great if not better. And yes, def unexpected Twist at the end!

8. May 4, 2020 #8 of 79
    Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    I'm 2 episodes in and Robbie Amell could be Stephen's brother rather than his cousin. I'm loving it so far.

9. May 4, 2020 #9 of 79
    wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Who is "Stephen"? I'd say Amell looks like a taller, younger Tom Cruise.

10. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    Stephen Amell was on Arrow.

11. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I have seen the commercials for this on this TV.. It strikes me as looking a lot like "The Good Place"

Is it? or is it not really the same thing?

TataBeha likes this.
  12. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    Similar, but not.

13. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ah, gotcha. I guess I have to know my Amells. I thought Robbie Amell was this one and Stephen was another actor or character on the show.

Edit:I also have to learn the difference between The Flash and Arrow.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  14. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Not. I wouldn't even say similar. It's a completely different kind of story, involving completely different themes.

Tonally, it's kind of odd...it's shot scene-to-scene almost like a sit-com, but the main story arc running through the show is quite serious. I think it mostly succeeds at walking the line between romantic comedy and murder-mystery drama, but if you're determined to have one or the other I suspect you will be pretty disappointed.

TataBeha and jsmeeker like this.
  15. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Thanks for the feed back, Rob and Gunny.

I was gonna watch anyway, but was sort of curious what to expect. I loved loved loved The Good Place. (Janet!!!)

TataBeha likes this.
  16. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    We are enjoying it a lot. The unexpected gags they come up with sometimes make us burst out laughing.

Steveknj and TataBeha like this.
  17. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Don't expect it to be either P&R or TGP and you will likely enjoy it.

Here's a weird comparison: Defending Your Life meets Minority Report meets Pushing Daisies.

Agatha Mystery and teknikel like this.
  18. scooterboy

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Finished the season. As I said above, I really like the story, twists, etc. and I'll definitely watch the next season.

But the "look" of it still just seems so odd to me.

TataBeha likes this.
  19. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    You should watch the movie "Code 8".

PJO1966 and David Ortiz like this.
  20. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Ok.. so... I watched the first episode.. The base premise of Uploading is interesting and not exactly what I expected

You have to upload BEFORE you die. The main character is awake and conscious and talking. He's inured (punctured lung) but nothing that seems life threatening that can't be handled.. But he choses to basically off himself? Was it because he just couldn't handle the girlfriend?

I like how he got injured.. The self driving vehicle. Plowed into the back of a stopped vehicle with flashing lights. hehe.. I guess they still haven't figured that out. :D

Will we get more gilmpses of the other companies that offer upload services? We get teased with one from Panera (the breakfast/coffee/sandwich place!!), but that's it.. I wonder what the budget ones are like. Are you living in a Residence Inn some place in rural Iowa? :D

TataBeha likes this.