Upgrading to TIVOHD in the Seattle Area... some questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by tamon77, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Feb 3, 2008 #1 of 18
    tamon77

tamon77 New Member

Feb 3, 2008

Advertisements

I currently have a series2 in my living room which has been working great. I bought it at Best Buy and am paying the monthly subscription. I am close to getting a TIVOHD and I have the following questions:

1. Billing:

When I activate the new TIVO how will my billing change? Will the activation process detect that I already have a TIVO and ask me to combine both devices onto one bill? Or will I need to call TIVO and do it over the phone.

2. Getting an M Card

I would like some guidance on specifically WHAT to say when I call Comcast.

3. Seattle Readers?
    If there is anyone reading this who lives in South King County (Maple Valley Area) please let me know your experience with Comcast!!!

Thanks ...

BTW -- I just joined this forum but have been reading for quite some time. Lots of good information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

FYI - This purchase will coincide with a new HDTV for the living room and a smaller HDTV for my master bedroom :)

2. Feb 3, 2008 #2 of 18
    AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Member

Jul 13, 2004
    1. I imagine that Tivo will combine your two bills together. I have lifetime service on both of my Tivos and they figured out they both belong to the same account when I recently added my HD.

2. Just drop by your local Comcast retail store and ask for an "M-card", they will know what you're talking about. M-card supply is kind of tight however so don't be disappointed if you have to go back a second time (I got the last one they had in stock the day I went there).

3. I live in Federal Way and I've had good luck with their HD cable service, it works great. However their cable internet is buggy and IMHO doesn't work so well so I might try a different provider for my internet service (it went out briefly just as I was ready to post this).

3. Feb 3, 2008 #3 of 18
    tamon77

tamon77 New Member

Feb 3, 2008
    how much does an m card cost if I pick it up at a store??

4. Feb 3, 2008 #4 of 18
    AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Member

Jul 13, 2004
    The first M-card is free unless you also have a Comcast cable box in which case it's $5.95/mo I think.

5. Feb 3, 2008 #5 of 18
    TiVo Steve

TiVo Steve New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Seattle WA.

Advertisements

I was charged $1.79 for my M-Card. My 1st card (Single Stream in a Sony DHG-HDD250 was free). I also have a DCT700 for my Series 2. Seattle Comcast.
    :)

6. Feb 3, 2008 #6 of 18
    tamon77

tamon77 New Member

Feb 3, 2008
    Would I be able to pick one up if I don't have my new Tivo yet?

7. Feb 4, 2008 #7 of 18
    Dancar

Dancar Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Seattle,...
    I live on Bainbridge Island and have Comcast. We've had a TivoHD for about a month. They told us we needed an M-Card and Single stream card, which we picked up at the office in Bremerton. Of course, the TiVo docs say M card only, so that's whet we put in, and the other cards sits in a drawer. Just say you have a TiVo HD and need a M-Card. They will offer to send a truck, but will let you just pick up the card or cards in person if you prefer. We're paying an extra $1.75/month for the both cards.

When you call in to have the card "paired," (the card has to be in the machine when you do this, as you have to read some numbers to them off the screen) make sure you keep them on the phone until you actually see HD channels, like UHD, HDT and History HD (channels 660-665 I beleive).

8. Feb 4, 2008 #8 of 18
    Pictor Guy

Pictor Guy New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Seattle WA
    A Prayer might be helpful. :rolleyes:

Just get one M-Card and if you live in an area where they'll let you pick up the card yourself you can consider yourself lucky.

9. Feb 4, 2008 #9 of 18
    rader023

rader023 New Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Don't know about south king, but in lynnwood, i was able to walk into the Comcast store, get a M-Card at no charge, even though I still have my comcast DVR at home and walk out the door. Then went home and Called comcast up and had a working TIVO/M-CARD in about 10 minutes. Next day turned the old box in. I would recommend running guided setup on your box, let it run for a couple days, and then insert an M-card. After everything is set up, make sure to run guided setup again.

10. TheOrkinMan

TheOrkinMan New Member

Oct 23, 2007
    If you can go to the Redmond Comcast office, you can pick up an M-card at any time. They didn't charge me for it and once you are ready to set up the HD, you can call in and do it yourself - no need for a truck roll (I didn't need it and the phone call only took 15 minutes).

11. tamon77

tamon77 New Member

Feb 3, 2008
    good deal!! Thanks!!

12. radiohou

radiohou New Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    One other question on the billing side, if you guys don't mind helping a fellow Seattle resident! I just got the TiVo box today and need to go get the M-Card and return my old DVR as soon as I can get out there. I figure I won't have to pay the $13.95 HD-DVR charge to Comcast anymore, but will I still have to pay the $6.50 HD fee that they normally charge for a decoder box? (The $13.95 DVR charge supposedly included the HD fee.) My TV has a built-in HD tuner, and it was able to decode network HD signals through the coax. And the TiVo has a built-in HD tuner too, so I figured that the CableCard would decrypt the digital channels over Channel 99, and the TiVo would be able to decode the HD signal without me having to pay the $6.50 charge.

I talked to a Comcast rep on the internet, and he claimed that I would still have to pay that HD fee, but I've long since learned not to trust every rep I talk to. So, I just wanted to see if you guys had any insight into this that could give me some reassurance that i'm not getting scammed.

Thanks!

13. bobat

bobat New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    No. You won't need the box, so they can't very well charge you for it after you return it. The rep (not surprisingly) is wrong.

14. radiohou

radiohou New Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    well, the guy didn't say i needed the box. he said that i would have to pay that HD fee in order for the cablecard to "unlock" the HD channels. But, those channels should already be unscrambled by the Cablecard, and the TiVo could decode them. Unless they really do have some extra encrytion...

15. Dancar

Dancar Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Seattle,...
  16. radiohou

radiohou New Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    cool. thanks for the info. i'll try it out. at worst, i'll just have to add the service back to my plan...par for the course with Comcast...

17. tamon77

tamon77 New Member

Feb 3, 2008
    I picked up my M-Card today in Redmond with no problems. Comcast told me today I would not need to pay the extra $6.50 to get the HD channels included in my current cable package (which is channels 1-99). Essentially he said that I am already receiving those channels but they are scrambled and the TIVO box + M-Card would unscramble.

I will believe it when I see it ... Will let you know when I get everything set up in 3 days.

18. tamon77

tamon77 New Member

Feb 3, 2008
    All set up yesterday! Hd is stunning!!!