Upgrading to Series 3

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by robk33, Jul 11, 2007.

1. robk33

robk33 New Member

Jul 11, 2007

Advertisements

This must have been posted somewhere - if someone has a lifetime contract, what happens to it when they upgrade to a Series 3 box?

2. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    TiVo has been running frequent specials here and there that will allow you to transfer your lifetime service to the new S3. Nothing currently, but I would expect one sooner than later.

3. ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO
    As of today the lifetime stays with the old box and you pay $13/month (with 3 year commitment) for service on the S3.

4. bpurcell

bpurcell TMBG Fan

Mar 16, 2005
    Fairfield, CA
    Actually, it would be 6.95 per month for 3 year commitment, since it would be MSD, assuming they keep the lifetime box.

5. btgg

btgg New Member

Jul 17, 2007

Advertisements

Just spoke to a customer service rep and she indicated there would be another Series 3 offer in the couple of weeks. She did not disclose any details but led me to believe it had to do with a lifetime transfer.

6. jaimz2

jaimz2 Member

Dec 22, 2001
    Greer, SC
    I was just emailed just such an offer and I jumped on it - My series 1 is dying (modem).

:)

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    What's the offer? I don't seem to have gotten a new tivo email.

8. snathanb

snathanb New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    You have a lifetime contract for service on that box. .

I think it's unreasonable and a sign of financial desperation that TIVO allows lifetime subscriptions to be transferred to new boxes.

9. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    Really? If they wouldn't have offered it I probably wouldn't have upgraded to my S2 or my S3 as fast as I did.

Because I took advantage of Lifetime transfer offers both times.

10. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    uumm the other lifetime transfer offer was basically 100$ for a DT box and 199$ to transfer a lifetime that was older than 4 years. So TiVo already depreciated those lifetime's off the books. With this they get people off of S1 which relies on expensive to maintain dialup and can not participate in broadband features like renting UNBOX videos. Seems savvy to me to sell some DTs, drop off sme more dailup customers and make money on old lifetime subs. what is so desperate about that?

The other offer of moving a lifetime after buying an 800$ S3 also seemed to make a nice chunk of cash off of each sale. Again what is desperate about meking some good money?

and in all of it - the customers who do the deal are happy becasue they got to upgrade their lifetimed hardware. How can a win/win be desperate?