Upgrading to Premeire from S2 Questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by ThePhantomsGirl, Nov 24, 2011.

1. ThePhantomsGirl

ThePhantomsGirl Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Tavares, FL
    Hi Everyone,

I'm a long time member of this forum, although don't come here that often as I've had no problems.

I'm thinking of upgrading to the Premiere from an S2 unit. Actually I have about three S2 units but dropped to using just one.

I've hesitated upgrading for a long time since I have loved my S2, it's a hacked unit with a much larger hard drive. However, there are issues and reasons why I'm considering upgrading now, but I'm not sure all of them would be fixed or changed with the Premiere.

I noticed quite some time ago that I had lost my capability to transfer recordings from one unit to another. That was the reason I dropped to one unit as that was a big loss. Then the copyrighted programs thing kicked in.

I was told by a Tivo rep that the reason I lost the transfer ability was when the TV signals changed over to digital, and the S2 wasn't capable of that. Not sure if that is correct. The copyright issue is not a Tivo thing is what I was told, and that could well be correct?

So...if I upgrade to a Premiere, I probably wouldn't be able to keep the S2 and transfer programs between that and the Premiere? If the copyright issue isn't a Tivo thing, I suspect that won't change.

With the dual tuner, the ability to transfer is less of an issue. I'd love the Elite with the four tuners, but the price tag is out of my range at the moment. It would still be nice if I could keep the S2 and transfer...but?

I have Comcast and they've always been a pain, so I'm hoping getting a M3 Cable card isn't a huge deal. I know they charge but it'd be cheaper than getting an additional HD box which is another reason I'm considering upgrading. My brother is moving into the other bedroom and will get an HD set. So we would have had to get another HD box which would increase our Comcast bill. The cable card would be cheaper - as if I am correct - and according to the documentation - I don't need a cable box?

Thanks to all - and have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Holly

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Regarding transfering to the S2, you would only be able to transfer shows that come from a SD (standard definition) source. The S2 cannot handle Hi-Def.

Your cable company may have duplicate channels in SD and HD. Anything you would want to transfer to the S2 would have to be recorded from the SD channel (assuming the programming is scaled down to SD resolutions).

3. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    My multiple upgraded DTS2s were the most versatile and reliable TiVo set up I ever had. Unfortunately all good things electronic bump up against new and too quickly come to an end. Local Comcast went to digital just before the Premiere came out. If they'd waited a couple of months I'd now be running three PXLs. As it is, I kinda got tangled up in the late production HDXL problems and after the dust settled ended up with two reasonably decent HDXLs and a PXL.

With the caveat that I could care less about the HDUI menu system and still use the SD version, the PXL with it's current software rev is operationally excellent and stable. I had no problem at all with copy down of content from my S2s to the HDs and PXL and used one S2 as a third party transfer unit at one point as I was constructing the new network.

As noted, the S2 can't handle high definition recordings but from my couple/three year old experience, SD should work fine.

4. ThePhantomsGirl

ThePhantomsGirl Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Tavares, FL
    Thanks - I will probably upgrade with the price being around $78 right now. I'd love the Elite with the four tuners, but not at that price. Maybe when it comes down I'll add it to the mix. But for now, I think in my current situation that upgrading makes sense.

5. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado

Probably ought to make sure when you buy that you're getting enough storage. HD recordings suck up a lot of disk space and if you intend to record in HD you most likely will want a PXL. If you stay with SD recordings it's less of an issue.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you're only using Series 2 units, you should be using analog cable with them, unless Comcast has forced you to use some sort of cable box with them, and even then the input to them would have to be analog, and as far as I know the S2s aren't capable of taking notice of the anti-copy bits, so your loss of ability to transfer between units would have been from some other cause.

Are you running Tivo Desktop on a computer?

7. ThePhantomsGirl

ThePhantomsGirl Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Tavares, FL
    Thanks, I've already decided to upgrade and my Premiere is on the way. I don't think I'll run the S2 at all. Haven't used Tivo Desktop at all.