Upgrading to more than 300GB

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by ericL, Sep 2, 2006.

1. ericL

ericL Abbie Normal

Jan 6, 2002
    Raleigh, NC

Advertisements

Sorry, I know this is covered in various places but there's so much information, it's hard to follow.

I've done numerous upgrades so I know the deal, but I'm just wondering what the consensus is on whether or not an extra option (for swap space?) is required on mfsadd when upgrading to something like 400 or 500GB.

My upgrades are simple upgrades using just mfsadd, no hacks or anything.

thanks!

2. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Besides making sure you use large drive aware software to do the upgrade, you will be fine.

There are many different views on what swap size to use when upgrading.

Some sa to use the 2:1 ration for the size. I have used 127 on both a 400GB drive and a 320GB drive, with no problems whatsoever. Take a look around the Upgrades forum for some threads explaining the different methods and opinions on the topic.

IMO - just use the 127 swap and you will be golden.

3. ericL

ericL Abbie Normal

Jan 6, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks a lot for the quick reply. From what I've read I figured "-s 127" would be the thing to do. I just wanted to make sure I've been interpreting all the posts correctly and that that would be a reasonable way to do it.

Yes, I have the large drive-aware upgrade software. I have a HR10-250 that I'll probably want to upgrade to 400 or 500 when/if we get the 6.3 s/w upgrade.

4. Dirac

Dirac New Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Florida
    One of my receivers is a 2x400 GB, the other is a single 400 GB. No problems with -s 127. Make sure to use the -r 4 switch (this is in the Weaknees online guide but may not be in the Hinsdale guide) to set the block size properly.

5. ericL

ericL Abbie Normal

Jan 6, 2002
    Raleigh, NC

Advertisements

I've always been a Hinsdale user, but I just looked up the Weaknees guide and see the backup | restore command using -s 127 and -r 4 for replacing the drive, or mfsadd with just -r 4 if just adding a drive. thanks.