Upgrading to dual tunuer Series 2

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by moldymac, Jan 12, 2008.

1. moldymac

moldymac New Member

Mar 26, 2006

Advertisements

I currently have a tivo series 2 with 2 hard drives, 1 160gb, and a 250gb with tons of stuff recorded. I bought a used series 2 dual tuner off ebay and would like to know if I can drop these hard drives from my old series 2 into the dual tuner without any problems?

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Not easily. And definitely to not keep your recordings.

The drives would need imaged with the Series 2 DT software, which would wipe the existing software and recordings, plus you would require different bracket to use two drives in the Series 2 DT.

If it were me, I'd get a new single large drive, likely 500GB or so, and put that in the "new" TiVo, and view the old recordings in due course off the old TiVo, or at most do a "TiVo drive Monte*"

* TiVo Drive Monte:
    TiVoToGo all the recordings from old TiVo/drives to the new drive in your PC, then copy the recordings to the old drives (reformatted for PC use), format new drive for new TiVo, then TTCB from old drives, either at once or as desired.

3. moldymac

moldymac New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    I was afraid someone would say that. The single drive solution seems like the way I will go, should also cut down on the noise too. Thanks