1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading to Bolt, best way to bulk-transfer recordings from Series 2?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Redoctobyr, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Apr 9, 2017 #1 of 22
    Redoctobyr

Redoctobyr Active Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Hi all, I just ordered a Bolt, taking advantage of the $99 Lifetime transfer promotion. It will be replacing my pair of old Series 2 units.

I have a lot of recordings on those, which I would like to preserve. What is the best way to transfer the recordings to the Bolt, preferably in bulk? I would really prefer to avoid needing to select them one-at-a-time for transferring using the interface on the Bolt, there are probably 200+ recordings.

I don't mind transferring to and from a PC. I've seen people mention pyTivo, and kmttg, I'm not sure if they could do this? Thank you.

Mikeguy likes this.
  2. Apr 9, 2017 #2 of 22
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can only do 1 after another and never multiple. However, you can get one started, and initiate another after, but suggest you only do a few at a time because the server can bulk up and crash. and, Yes, you need service on BOTH Tivos to be able to transfer between.

KMTTG is a program that lets you download the shows to a PC/MAC but to get it to a Tivo, you need PyTivo or Tivo Desktop installed and running. Tivo Desktop/Plus is no longer supported and will not get any help from Tivo on any issues you may have. The Plus is just a key for extra formats such as .vob, .mp4. and the key is no longer issued.

Mikeguy likes this.
  3. Apr 9, 2017 #3 of 22
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Nicely-timed, Dan203, a moderator here, recently came out with an easy-to-install version of pyTivo, with which to transfer shows to/from a TiVo and PC (both ways).

Easier to use pyTivo

4. Apr 9, 2017 #4 of 22
    Redoctobyr

Redoctobyr Active Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Thank you both. I will check out pyTivo, and see what I can do with that.

5. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Be sure to thank Dan. :)

6. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I do not use pyTiVo, so I cannot comment on that option other than to say it may well be the easiest choice? I don't know why it would exist if it did not make things easier that what we get from TiVo.

I DO use TiVo Desktop, and that makes it easy to select multiple programs at one time from the computer and start the copy off the old box (to the computer, not directly to the new bolt). The biggest drawback of doing lots of copies from an old Series 3 to the Desktop is that they run SLOW! We are talking days and days for large numbers of programs (even if they are all SD - even LONGER if they are HD). It has been many years since I have copied anything from a S2, but I can't imagine it is any faster than the transfers from a newer S3. One other problem I have with the Desktop is that when I select many programs at one time and start the transfer, the Desktop app seems to go catatonic shortly thereafter and refuse to respond even though the transfers continue behind the scenes just fine. If you do this, just try and ignore the Desktop after the transfers start and monitor them through the file manager instead.

Transfers directly between an S3 box and a Bolt are much faster than from the S3 and the computer, but still not what I would class as "fast" in any way. I have no idea if a direct S2 to Bolt transfer would be that same speed as the S3. The biggest drawback of this type of transfer has already been noted above - you have to set each one up, one at a time from the Bolt, and that can be a very tedious process. I generally don't queue more than 10-20 at a time, but I have never had a problem getting all of them completed after they are added to the queue.

7. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I read from other folks they had transfers stall if they queued up too many. I was cautious at first doing 20 at a time. Later I just queued up 150-200 at a time and they all went through. This is from S3 OLED to Roamio Pro. I do everything from slingbox so it is done by keyboard on a laptop rather than the TiVo remote control and it is a pretty brain dead operation so I can multitask while I watch my shows.

The interesting thing I found is that it seems the Roamio Pro copies received *NEW* metadata from Rovio when I did the transfer of these shows. I found this out because every once in a while a show would show up outside the show grouping (for example there would be 20 episodes of survivor, but only 18 would show up in the group, and two would be individual shows outside the group)

This puzzled me at first because they all showed up grouped together on the S3 OLED, even if I transferred to a 2nd OLED they stayed grouped together.

Then I went through and examined all the meta-data for the affected shows and noticed the show descriptions were very similar but not exact. There were grammar differences in the description. Grammar differences couldn't be some transfer error, so I concluded the transferred shows picked up new meta-data from Rovi, and the meta-data it picked up must have had some show-id problem causing the grouping to be broken. So not only can Rovi hit you with bad guide data on new shows you record, but they can hit you with bad guide data on old shows as well.

On some other shows, the show descriptions went from english to spanish after the transfer.

Maybe there is some other explanation for the differences I saw, but the only explanation I could come up with that made sense for the grammar differences was the Roamio Pro copy retrieved new meta-data, similar to how it receives commercial skip information after it is done recording.

Mikeguy likes this.
  8. Redoctobyr

Redoctobyr Active Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Thank you all for the replies. I haven't used TiVo Desktop in a long time, but I could find a copy and try that, I suppose. I found a thread about TiVo Desktop here, where someone said that kmttg is good for transferring files. I may look into it further.

I did install the "easier pyTivo" the other day, it installed smoothly, and got me up and running, which is great! I posted in the "Easier to install pyTivo" thread with a few questions, here:
    Easier to use pyTivo

Just to recap the questions quickly here:
    - I'm hoping I can find a way to select shows to transfer without having to do it individually. With several hundred, this will take a while.
    - I'd like to be able to push them from my computer to the new Bolt. So far, I don't see any Push options in pyTiVo, but maybe I misunderstood what pyTivo can do, or maybe my Series 2s don't support Push.

9. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    There is NO program that can transfer multiple programs at once, its impossible. Only thing to do is to select one at a time to transfer, which you can select them even while others are being transferred.

There is no more push option as that is broken currently. It was the same function to transfer one after another. The only difference between push and pull is the location its initiated (push from a PC, pull from the Tivo.)

10. Redoctobyr

Redoctobyr Active Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Sorry, I don't mean to mis-represent what I'm really trying to do. I don't actually want to transfer multiple shows at the same moment in time. I just want to be able to *select* a whole bunch of shows at once, tell them to transfer, and then let it automatically transfer them one-at-a-time after that.

11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    That will work, but people tend to report a stall/other issue when a whole lot are selected for transfer at a time. Seems that choosing a handful or 4 at a time works more smoothly.

12. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You can't actually "*select* a whole bunch of shows at once (and) tell them to transfer". You have to select and queue them up individually. You can have a bunch queued up, but as Mikeguy pointed out, a TiVo can get confused if too many are queued up at once.

13. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Your statement is wrong, at least as far as TiVo Desktop is concerned. You absolutely CAN select as many as you want all at one time and then start the transfer. I recently used Desktop to select 54 episodes of an HD series and then start the transfer - took three days to complete them all, but they did complete.

The problem with using TiVo Desktop for this type of transfer between two TiVo boxes is both that it is very slow with the older series, AND you then have to use the second box to individually select each of those copied programs from the computer and pull them down. With that in mind, I generally just use the box-to-box xfer capabilities and just select each program one time to queue them up. Tedious, but it gets the job done.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  14. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Transferring from the TiVo to PC, yes. But the post you quoted was in reference to the desire to transfer from the PC to the TiVo.

15. fredi

fredi New Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Maryland
    So the fastest way to transfer from my old S2 to my new Bolt is to use the box-to-box transfer capabilities from the Bolt and just select each program one at a time.

16. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I don't know the volume you need to move, but this will help. Transfer one. Then go to Help or Settings, Network, View Network diagnostics, View transfer history, and select # 3, incoming. You will see the bit rate and time. Do the math. Pulling from a Premiere is 60Mbps, an S2 will be much slower.

Please let me clarify that "one at a time". Yes, you select each program. But you don't need to wait for it to finish to select the next. I have queued up several programs, but I still need to select each one. There is no "select all" ability in a TiVo.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Mikeguy likes this.
  17. fredi

fredi New Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Maryland
    Everything is set to go, now I just need to figure out how to get the S2 connected with it's wireless N network adapter. The To Do list shows the transfers but incoming transfers shows "None"

18. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What wireless N adapter? connected to the S2? Only the Tivo wireless G adapter is supported.

The Tivo wireless N adapter was originally designed for the Premiere, but theoretically, can be used on any Tivo with an Ethernet port.

If transfers stopped, you need to reboot the Tivos because the (receiver's) server within the unit crashed.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  19. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Theoretically, you could plug a wireless N adapter into a USB Ethernet adapter connected to the TiVo.

Mikeguy likes this.
  20. fredi

fredi New Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Maryland
    Oops, it's the original Linksys Wireless-B adapter, State-of-the-art back in the day. I guess that's why it doesn't work.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017