Upgrading Tivo HD software version to 9.4x?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Kadence, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Kadence

Kadence New Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Roxbury,...

Advertisements

The Cablevision guy came in today to install digital cable and Optimum Online. However he had a problem installing the multi-stream Cablecard. He called in, and they told him that the card won't work because the Tivo HD's software version was 8.1x out of the box, and the Cablecard needs 9.4x. So he says wait for it to upgrade to that, then call them again. Currently my Tivo has no Cablecard, so I can't view HD channels and some other stuff, although standard def works fine.

The Tivo setup told me that it upgrades automatically, but my Software Version has currently been 9.2a-01-2-652 for hours now. It seems to be stuck at that.

So how can I force an upgrade to 9.4x?

2. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    You need to force a connection to the TiVo service.

From TiVo Central, select Messages & Settings; then Settings; then Phone and Network; then Connect to the TiVo Service Now.

When you see “pending restart” on the Phone and Network screen then reboot the TiVo. You may have to connect to the TiVo service several times to get it to download a new software version.

3. rvsj

rvsj Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Software updates occur at 2:00 AM. They involve a reboot of the unit. The next version may have already been downloaded and the unit is waiting until 2 AM. Check the network status to see if it says "Pending Restart".

4. Kadence

Kadence New Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Roxbury,...
    Yeah, going to Connect to Tivo service worked :) It never said pending restart or told me to restart, but on the advice of this thread I did so. Prior to the restart the version was still 9.2x. However after the restart it did a service update, and it became 9.4x.

I'm really liking the interface changes too - especially the ability to see the guide over live TV (something I was very surprised to see Tivo lacked, as standard cable company DVRs have that), and also the ability to advance days using "-" minus (don't know what it's called), as advancing days was another feature I was extremely surprised Tivo lacked. So this version change was a really substantial user interface upgrade.

5. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY

Advertisements

The "pending restart" is not a message, but a status viewable in the connection screen, where you would otherwise have seen "Successful" as the status of your last connection to the TiVo server.