Upgrading the Hard Drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by kturcotte, May 6, 2010.

1. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME

Advertisements

I got my Premiere yesterday, and I really like it. It's been rock solid so far (It's probably freezing as I type this lol) and I like the HD menus, which I don't really consider slow (I'm coming from Directv lol).
    I would like to upgrade the hard drive though. I have a 1.5 TB hard drive sitting in my computer doing basically nothing (Acting as a 3rd backup to the main drive). I know Instant Cake and the like won't work, but it can still be done manually using Linux right? If so, could somebody point me in the right direction for that? Thanks!

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    No, there are no DIY upgrades for the Premiere at this time, as discussed in the FAQ stickied at the top of the forum. One can re-image the existing software to another drive, but that method does not use the extra space.

If you want a drive upgrade, you can purchase a prepared 2TB drive from DVRUpgrade.com (forum sponsor) or an ebay reseller.

3. t1voproof

t1voproof Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Anyone remember how long it took to crack the Series 2 upgrade?

4. moolman

moolman New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Well, it has been cracked hence the people selling 2TB upgrades. It's just who will make the process public so you can DIY it. Can't blame the companies for not releasing it. I wouldn't if I knew how to do it. I'd be the guy on ebay selling the 2TB drives.