Upgrading Roamio Plus--what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by ravingfans, Apr 18, 2019.

1. ravingfans

ravingfans Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Hi, I'm attempting to upgrade the HDD on my new/refurb Roamio from Weaknees. Here is what I attempted:

1. replaced 1TB Green Drive with new 6TB WD Blue hoping to get to the guided setup menu.
    Result: endless loop of Green Screen of Death followed by a swift reboot after 5 secs
    The "Almost there... Just a few minutes more." screen looked older, similar to the TiVo man on stage screen

2. re-installed original 1TB Green Drive, went through guided setup, several reboots, got to the Hydra and hated it. Rolled back to

3. replaced 1TB Green with the 6TB Blue and got the endless loop of GSOD, but the "Almost There... Just a few minutes more." screen looks newer and more stylish.

I think after step 2 TiVo Rollback, the firmware in the TiVo was updated to newer, but the TiVo is still not wanting to format the 6TB Blue Drive.

Can I just use the MSFR tool to copy the 1TB to the 6TB directly? I'm not finding a procedure readily, maybe it is in one of the very long threads we have on upgrades

Thanks so much!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The most often issue is the drive is drawing too much power than the supply can provide.

The recommended drive is the WD Red series (not pro series).

3. ravingfans

ravingfans Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Thanks for quick answer ThAbt0!

based on that, I ordered this one just now:

WD Red 8TB NAS Internal Hard Drive - 5400 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 256 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD80EFAX

looks like the Pro is the WD6003FFBX @ 7200 RPM's, so I avoided that one...

BTW, Software version of the Roamio is 20.7.4.RC42-848-6-848 for reference.

net lander likes this.
  4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I should add that 7200+ RPM drives would not work either.

5. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    For a Roamio to perform a successful upgrade on a blank hard drive installed in it, the hard must not be larger than 3 TB. If you want to use a hard drive larger than 3 TB, you will need to perform the upgrade using MFSTools v3.2 or later.

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    This is incorrect. The Roamio will format up to the first 3TB, but to increase to the max, MSFR will expand it to 8TB. You do not need to use a secondary drive for the process.

MFSTools 3.2+ is limited to 4TB, so it will not expand much more.

You may be referring to the Premiere which needed to use a secondary drive to get to the max 8TB, but now MFSTools can expand to 8TB on Premieres.

7. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    When it discovered by users that the Roamio would fully self-upgrade a blank hard drive installed internally, a lot of larger hard drives we're tried. The Roamio could only successfully (i.e., it would boot from the new drive) upgrade drives no larger than 3 TB, and it had to be connected to the internet to do so.

Are you saying this has changed?

8. ravingfans

ravingfans Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I just had a look at the specs for the 6TB Blue Drive that is not working and the 8TB Red Drive that I ordered just now, and the Green 1TB that came with the Roamio:

Red WD80EFAX, 1.85A Peak Current, 8.8W Average Power Read/Write
    Blue WD60EZRZ, 1.75A Peak Current, 5.8W Average Power Read/Write
    Green WD10EURX, Peak Current (spec not provided), 5.3W Average Power Read/Write

From these specs, the Red 8TB is going the wrong direction if that is the problem. Is there a 6TB or greater drive that is known to work that is in production currently? looks like 5.3W is the number to stay below, correct?

JoeKustra likes this.
  9. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, since MFSR came out. There are no system partitions on the Roamio drive.

Premiere was the last Tivo with the system partitions, boot sectors on the drive.

I have upgraded my Roamio to 4TB, about 4 yrs ago, and it was the only drive used.

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Thank you for being wise enough to check the specs. I changed the 1TB drive in my laptop from 5400rpm to 7200rpm since the WD took less power than the Seagate. Even in a TiVo, the difference is a small percentage of overall power use.

11. ravingfans

ravingfans Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Perhaps so, but as ThAbt0 pointed out the reason for the failure was power, then it is only logical to look at the current and/or power specs to see what the draw is.

I'm hoping I don't have to go the route of an external box to power the drive...

ThAbt0: do you have additional advice? You recommended the Red drive, but with higher current/power it seems to not solve that issue...

Thanks! Phil

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That would be a first. The first indication of an overworked Roamio is the MBT. I have four basic Roamio units. Three have 3TB drives. One is a red, two are a green. All have MBT under 40C. Since I don't have a Plus I can't make suggestions to improve cooling. For one of my units, this USB powered drive drops the MBT by 5C and is quite simple to "install":
    Fan on Side.JPG

13. ravingfans

ravingfans Member

Jan 11, 2009
    so is the concern more about Power demand, as the HDD will draw more than the power supply can deliver or is the concern more about cooling the drive and the box?

I had interpreted ThAbt0's comments as being power demand/delivery as opposed to cooling.

If the power demand/delivery is adequate then I don't think the GSOD's would be occurring or else there is some other reason the 6TB red drive is not working.

14. Frank Hickman

Frank Hickman Dragracer 3120

Oct 15, 2018
    Michigan
    I have 2 Roamio Plus's, they both have 6 TB Seagate green 5400 rpm drives. They work fantastic. NO problems at all ever.
    Most any hard drive will work, but the 7200 rpm drives put out to much heat. You need to install the new drive, it will format, then remove the drive and use the mfsr tool (you can get it here in the forum) to expand it. Reinstall it into the Tivo go thru guided setup. and you have 6 TB. It's pretty easy. HOWEVER if you have the new HYDRA system it won't work,-(it does all the things you said) you need to down grade to the old system. That's pretty easy also. Those directions are here also. It does not long to do either of these things. Both of mine went right in.

JoeKustra likes this.
  15. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    ^^^ Listen to experience.

16. Frank Hickman

Oct 15, 2018
    Michigan
    I have 2 Roamio Plus's, they both have 6 TB Seagate green 5400 rpm drives. They work fantastic. NO problems at all ever.
    Most any hard drive will work, but the 7200 rpm drives put out to much heat. You need to install the new drive, it will format, then remove the drive and use the mfsr tool (you can get it here in the forum) to expand it. Reinstall it into the Tivo go thru guided setup. and you have 6 TB. It's pretty easy. HOWEVER if you have the new HYDRA system it won't work,-(it does all the things you said) you need to down grade to the old system. That's pretty easy also. Those directions are here also. It does not long to do either of these things. Both of mine went right in.

17. ravingfans

ravingfans Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Thanks Frank, I downgraded from Hydra, but have a continuous loop of Green Screen, and never reach the guided setup, so don't believe this drive is getting formatted.

There are no green WD 6TB drives on the market right now that I've been able to find. not sure if they are coming back or not.

You are using the Seagate, which I thought had the PMR/Shingling problem that was not long term suitable for TiVo applications, correct? Reading the forums, it seemed that was going to result in a problem down the road, say 2-3 years after installation.

18. Frank Hickman

Oct 15, 2018
    Michigan

I got the Seagate 6TB 5400 rpm drives, they are new drives, I got them from E Bay. I paid about, $119. each for them.
    I said green because they have green labels on them, (sorry about that) YOU CAN NOT have anything on them. Right out of the box.
    Put it in the Roamio, after it formated then I expanded it with the tool from the forum here. I have Roamio Plus's. Reintsalled them into the Tivo,
    Now I have over 6600 hours of sd recording. It really does work, I got all the needed info from here in the forum.
    I did have to make sure the drives are totally empty. NO FORMAT at all then put it in the Tivo

19. ravingfans

ravingfans Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Ok, latest update:

1. I read Frank's comment on this thread, that the drive had to be blank, unformatted straight out of the box, so I put the 6TB on a linux machine and did a dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb (which loads zeros into disk b which was my 6TB drive. After trying this in the Roamio, it booted all the way to the guided setup screen! yay!

2. After connecting this drive through a USB 3.0 to SATA adapter, I tried to run MFSR on Windows 7 and got errors, then moved the setup to a Windows 10 computer and it recognized the drive. when I attempted to reformat the drive, I received the below two errors.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

In case the pictures don't come through:

The first error is ReformatRoamioDrive (MFSR Error Message 0x00000013 Line 337)
    the second error message is writefile (MFSR Error Message 0x00000013 Line 1071)

When plugging this drive into the tivo and going through guided setup, it reports the HD hours to be 210 HD Hours.

I must still be missing a step--thanks for all your help!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    net lander likes this.
  20. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Weird. That error indicates that the drive is write protected. Haven't seen that one before.

It has to be a program or driver in Windows that's blocking write access since dd worked in Linux, but I don't what it could be.