Upgrading How to copy existing programmes over?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by merlin, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Sep 1, 2007 #1 of 26
    merlin

merlin New Member

Jul 22, 2002

Advertisements

I've upgraded my Tivo to a 400Gb Disk and everything is working fine... but I cannot fiind any instructions on how to transfer all of my tv programmes over to the new disk using MFSTools?

Any help would be most greatful......

2. Sep 1, 2007 #2 of 26
    blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdX | mfsrestore -s 400 -r4 -xzpi - /dev/hdY

where hdX is your source and hdY your target drive. Then run copykern to install the LBA48 kernel and initialise the swap :)

3. Sep 1, 2007 #3 of 26
    merlin

merlin New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Thanks.... this seems to be copying now... looking like its going to take a long time!

The command I was using before was

restore -x -r 4 -s 300 -zpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc

I guess the difference is that this command restores my backup which does not include TV programmes, where your command backups and restores everything...

The only question I have now is I previously restored using -s 300, but now I am using -s 400 is this ok?

4. Sep 1, 2007 #4 of 26
    blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Yes, that's fine.

Technically you only need 200mb of swap for a 400gb drive, but allowing 400mb gives you the option of adding a 2nd 400gb drive at a later stage without re-imaging or messing about.

5. Sep 1, 2007 #5 of 26
    spike2k5

spike2k5 New Member

Feb 21, 2006

Advertisements

6. Sep 1, 2007 #6 of 26
    merlin

merlin New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Ok, I now have a 400Gb Tivo and it all seems to be working etc. thanks blindlemon.

spike2k5, I'm not sure what the -r option does except that the instructions told me to do it for drives greater than 274Gb. The -r 4 option I used seems to have worked.... what is the difference bewteen -r 4 and -r 2 ?

Should I be concerned that I used -r 4 instead of -r 2 ?

Thanks

7. Sep 1, 2007 #7 of 26
    blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    -r4 gives a larger blocksize than -r2 and is used as a workaround for the 274gb bug in MFSTools 2.0 whereby you couldn't have a partition > 274gb.

Some people also believe that using a bigger blocksize makes your TiVo faster, although I've never noticed any difference either way.

There's certainly no need to re-do the upgrade with -r2 and the MFSLive CSD if it has worked OK with -r4 and the MFSTools LBA48 CD.

I assume you ran copykern?

8. Sep 2, 2007 #8 of 26
    merlin

merlin New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Yes, I did run the copykern...

But how do I known that the whole 400Gb Drive is being used?

Recording Times Shown:

92 Hrs, 11 Mis (Best) - Mode 0 has been enabled!
    413 Hrs, 43 Mins (Basic)

Does the number of hours seem right for a 400Gb Drive?

9. Sep 3, 2007 #9 of 26
    AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    Looks right to me, a 40GB Tivo was sold as having 40hours basic recording so a bit over 400 hours on 400GB looks right!
    IIRC If you've enabled Mode 0 and the Variable Bit Rate option then you will probably get over 92 hours of Best as this value is calculated from the Maximum bit rate not the average (which obviously varies :) )

10. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Copykern doesn't affect whether the whole drive is used or not - that depends on doing the upgrade using a LBA48-aware boot CD. COpykern just copies the LBA48 kernel so that when the TiVo OS tries to use part of the drive past 137gb it will actually do so :)

If you were only using 137gb then your hours would be around 35 for Best and 150 for Basic.

11. merlin

merlin New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Wow, it looks like I may have completed a successful upgrade...

Thanks for everybody's help...

12. robmcmahon

robmcmahon New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Hi Guys,

I have added this here rather than start a new thread as I think it is related and hopefully will aid others when searching in the future.

I too am in the process of an upgrade although mine is forced to the failure of my HDD. I have a .bak that I have successfully restored to the new drive.

Is there anyway that I can get my Season Pass info or recoded shows off the old drive?

It currently fails at 56.06% of the mfsbackup leading me to believe that there is a surface issue around that block. My basic understanding is that the recordings are kept in a different partition and the season pass info in /var (not so sure on that)

Is there a process I can follow to try and rescue any of the data?

Can I use the cachecard bootcd to mount the partitions?

Thanks,

13. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Try doing the backup->restore with the MFSLive CD from www.mfslive.org

That has more robust error handling than MFSTools 2.0 and I have seen it complete successfully despite many surface errors where MFSTools 2.0 could not.

You will need to run copykern from the LBA48 CD afterwards though as MFSLive (although it is LBA48 aware asnd does correctly initialise swapfiles > 127mb) doesn't install the LBA48 kernel.

14. robmcmahon

robmcmahon New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Thanks I will try it an let you know how it goes.

15. ericd121

ericd121 Crown Topper

Dec 12, 2002
    Milton...
    blindlemon, or anyone.

I'm interested to know why the swap space and the kernel commands are needed. Wouldn't these have been done in the original upgrade?

16. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    For the kernel, that depends whether the original upgrade was to a drive > 137gb or not. The swap initilisation is always required for swaps > 127mb when using MFSTools 2.0.

MFSLive initiailises the swap OK but doesn't install the LBA48 kernel.

17. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    A backup doesn't backup the swap, you specifiy the amount you want at restore stage.

If you leave the swap option out (-s 400) then it uses a default value of 64Mb swap,
    which is quite small and may stop a tivo being able to recover from a GSOD on a larger drive.

As well as copying the lba48 kernel (which is actually contained in the backup if it was done before),
    the copykern command also initialises the swapfile - mfstools doesn't initialise swap files of over 127Mb properly.

At any rate, running copykern can do no harm.

18. ericd121

ericd121 Crown Topper

Dec 12, 2002
    Milton...
    Thanks for those informative replies. :up:

Having bought a 160GB HDD, and restored my backup image onto it, I'm now copying some programmes over to the new disk using this version of blindlemon's command

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda | mfsrestore -s 160 -r2 -xzpi - /dev/hdd

Source disk is on Primary Master plug,
    target disk is on Secondary Slave plug.

It's taking an age, but then I suppose it would.

[Edit] It's finished,but with the following message:-

Restore done!
    Not enough extra space to expand on A drive.

Any ideas?

19. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Use the beta version of the MFSLive CD.

That has the -F option which will force the expansion of the final MFS partition to fill the drive.

You will need to re-run the backup->restore though....

20. ericd121

ericd121 Crown Topper

Dec 12, 2002
    Milton...
    Aaarrgh! That is definitely the -F option! :p

<Calms down>

Thanks, blindlemon.

I think I'll redo the restore without copying the progs tonight, and have another go at copying the progs tomorrow.