Upgrading HDs

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Dennyu, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Dennyu

Dennyu New Member

Sep 1, 2007

Advertisements

Altho I've had TIVOs for over 5 yrs, this is my first visit to this website. I know my ?? aren't unique but thought I'd just ask the ?? rather than spend the time going thru FAQ or looking for my answers. I'm sure my solution(s) are found in one of these "upgrade kits" but still want to educate myself.
    1) I presently have 2-40 hr TIVOs and bought a used 140 hr unit that had a power supply problem so I swapped HDs with one of the other ones from my other TIVOs, but when I tried to "reactivate" it, it wouldn't let me and when I called TIVO services, they could tell I'd put a 140 hr HD in a 40 hr unit and wouldn't activate it. What is the solution? Seems like they shouldn't care especially if the unit isn't under warranty and the HD is formatted for a TIVO.
    2) I also just bought a "new" 250 GB HD that I put in my other TIVO and fired it up but it stayed in the "powering up" mode for 5 hrs while I thought maybe it was formatting itself but finally came to the conclusion it wasn't. Then I was on E-bay and noticed someone was selling a TIVO that he said he upgraded the HD from 40 to a 250 GB HD so based on that it must be able to be done but based on my experience with TIVO, they wouldn't activate it.
    So any of you who have "upgraded" your HDs, what do I need to do to solve both 1 and 2? Thanks.
    Dennyu

2. ZombiE

ZombiE TIVO Bender

Dec 16, 2005
    Fort Walton...
    Denny,

It looks like you have done several things wrong. There isn't enough info to tell you exactly what.

You really need to go here and read: Tivo Upgrade Center

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=7&f=25

There are several options you have depending on how much money you want to spend. The upgrade kits are the easiest and most expensive. I personally like the Instantcake software from DVRUpgrade:

http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores/1/instantcake_nomodel.cfm

Z

3. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    #1 - this will only work if the Tivo's are like models (e.g. 540 to 540 or 649 to 649). Even so, you will need to run a "Clear and Delete Everything" after you swap drives. If they are like models and you do a CADE, things should work normally.

#2 - Not sure what this problem is, but it could be that there is a device type mismatch.

What are the model #s of the Tivo's involved?

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    the problem with #2 is that the tivo software doesn't magically appear on the hard drive. Someone has to put it there.

5. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area

Advertisements

Yup. Didn't even stop to think that someone would try to put an unprepared drive in a Tivo and expect it to work.