Upgrading Hard Drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by tomm1079, Jan 9, 2006.

1. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005

Advertisements

I have a series 2 540 tivo with an 80gig drive.

I am thinking about putting two 250 gig drives in it for a total of 500 gig (so i can start to record movies and keep em). What do you guys think of the following drive..
    http://www.memorylabs.net/oemma25at542.html

Any different drive suggestions?

2. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    I wouldn't put a Maxtor drive in a TiVo. IMHO it's not worth saving a few $$ by putting cheap drives in a TiVo as it will eat them for breakfast.

Go for Seagate or Samsung drives. If you can get the Samsung HA250JC all the better as it's whisper quiet and runs cool as a cucumber with virtually no vibration or hum in 99% of cases :up:

3. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    The $30 Fed-X Saver shipping and getting only a 30-Day warranty makes the deal a lot less attractive. The drive's specs look great for use in a TiVo.

I'm not so sure about the dealer with there having the un-need extras checked by default really irritates me especially the shipping insurance. Have you delt with them before?

4. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    no i just used pricewatch really quick and found that.....

I ended up going with a maxtor quickview 250 gig. I love maxtor and have never had one fail on me......(i have one in a junk PC going on 5 years now or so.....)

http://shop.atriniti.com/

I never dealt with these guys either but they have some pretty good reviews

5. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan

Advertisements

Ah pricewatch I use them often.

Um, how many reviews? "Atriniti launched on January 2nd, 2006". Let us know how it works out, I like free standard shipping.

6. Pauli

Pauli New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Long Beach, CA
    Maxtor drives are no "cheaper" than any of the other major manufacturer's drives. If you read enough of these (or any other hardware messageboard) messageboards, you will see all kinds of "I will never buy another xxxxx hard drive again!..." messages and every manufacturer will be named at one point or another. That said, the incompatiblity problem reported with some of the newer DiamondMax 10 drives is enough to keep me away from them.

That Samsung drive you linked does look like the ideal PVR drive, however. Unfortunately, they don't appear to be available anywhere in the States right now.

7. ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    That must be a new Samsung drive? Hope newegg.com gets it.

I've used newegg.com for drives for years--never been a problem. And I prefer Samsung. Their SpinPoint series has always been very quiet.