Upgrading from S3 to Elite

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by djwilso, Oct 6, 2011.

1. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I might get the new Elite when it comes out.

Does anyone that has experience upgrading from an OLED S3 to a Premiere know if I can simply re-use one of the two M-CableCARDs and the Cisco Tuning Adapter?

Both of my CableCARDs are Multistream-type and my TA has the STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1402 firmware update that supports 6 tuners.

I have read other threads where people have been able to freely move cards from TiVos to Ceton Quad-Tuner cards, so I'm hoping that I will only have to return one card and be set. One can dream...

I am on Cox Communications in Phoenix.

2. Gary-B

Gary-B Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Texas
    I moved my M-cards from a Tivo HD to Premier with no problem. Then moved two M-Cards from my S3 and put in my Ceton HTPC (8 Tuners) and everything worked great until I added HBO. Seems my cards were authorized, but once I added premium channels, The host ID didn't match so I had to have them Re-paired.

3. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Cool, thanks. I hope that possibly repairing will be the most I need to do.

4. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    You will only need one of the two M-Cards for the Elite. You will need to contact your cable provider to pair up the CableCARD with the new Elite Platform. The TA doesn't require any re-pairing.

5. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Cool. Yes, I knew I only needed one card. I just wasn't sure about the re-pairing and whether something "bad" would happen when Cox removes one of the cards from my account.

Will the other card be fine? For the S3 to work, both cards had to be "balanced", and I just hope that taking one away doesn't result in loss of any channels.

Thanks.

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    A Series 3, that is the ORIGINAL series 3, with the OLED screen on front, NEEDS TWO CABLECARDS, regardless of type. It will turn into a SINGLE TUNER DVR if you only have one cablecard in it. (Even for OTA)

7. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm sorry, I wasn't clear on this. I am planning on selling the S3 and upgrading to an Elite. We currently don't have a need for two DVRs.

So, I'm going to take one of the M-cards and the TA that the S3 is using now and put it into the Elite, and then return the other card back to Cox.

I hope this makes sense. I just want to do the least number of steps and have the lowest amount of aggravation as is possible with this process. :)

8. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    While yes it's true that one cablecard in a Series 3 will make it a single tuner DVR, this is not true for OTA. With OTA you can record two channels via two tuners, I'm doing it right now with a Series 3 and no cablecards.