Upgrading from S2s to HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dolphin, Apr 29, 2011.

1. dolphin

dolphin New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I've been existing with two S2s and extended basic cable. I've not upgraded to any TiVo HD, as I didn't want to get further locked in to the cable company. Also, the pricing complexities of various TiVo units causes me to put it off for another day.

I'd like to get two new units (well, new to me), capable of HD, used for OTA, but most importantly, I want to be able to simply change the TSNs online so that I maintain my $12.95 and $6.95 pricing.

I can't do that with the $99 Premiere units.

What's my best option?? Thanks.

2. A@ron

A@ron New Member

Jul 18, 2003
    best option is to buy a TiVo HD used.
    You can move them onto your account in place of the S2s and keep the pricing you have now. Also they're hackable via eeprom modification unlike the Premiere currently.

3. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Or maybe the next woot.com Premiere deal?

That's what I'm hoping for.

4. dolphin

dolphin New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I don't think you can transfer (grandfather in) existing pricing on the Woot deals.

5. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Guess I've got more to learn(research). Are the woot units treated as subsidized units(locked into $19.95/mo only)?

6. A@ron

A@ron New Member

Jul 18, 2003
    Yup. If you buy a premiere there it will be on the $19.95 a mo plan. That's why I suggested the TiVo HD among other reasons.

7. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    From a cursory look, it appears that the woot unit(woot sellout at least) qualified for lifetime and $12.95/mo plans. Don't know about TSN transfers though, but that should fall right in with those plans just mentioned. In other words, at least some of the woot offers netted free and clear, unencumbered units. Just my take.

Still more research to do.

8. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    To retain the $12.95/mo subscription cost is easy. You can:
    1. Buy any new or used Original Series 3, TiVo HD, or TiVo HD XL unit and it will qualify for $12.95/mo Service.
    2. You can buy Premiere from a woot.com deal that states it qualifies for the $12.95/mo rate.
    3. You could buy a Premiere for full price on tivo.com or through a TiVo upgrade offer.

What will be harder is keeping the $6.95 rate. You will have to call TiVo to keep that rate no matter how you try to do it.

I am guessing if you called Tivo and told them you wanted to buy 2 new Premieres for the $199 upgrade price only if they allowed you to keep the $6.95 rate along with the $12.95 rate that they would do it.

You could also just look at buying 2 new TiVos through your upgrade offer for $199 each and getting annual service on them and then canceling the service on both of your Series 2 units. The first year your annual service would be $99 on each unit after that one would go to $129 and the other would stay at $99. In both case it is cheaper than what you are paying now.

Good Luck,