Upgrading Cable Service Does Tivo Realize?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by kevin86, Feb 26, 2008.

1. kevin86

kevin86 New Member

Aug 27, 2007

Advertisements

Hi, I was hoping someone could answer this question for me.

I just upgraded my cable service so that I know get HBO, Cinemax and Showtime. Will my HDTivo automatically show these channels now in the guide and display the channels correctly or do I have to get it know somehow that I get these channels now.

If so, how do I do that?

Thanks.

2. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    You will need to re run guided setup if you upgraded your cable service from analog to digital. And you will need to go into the channel list under settings/channel and select(check) the new channels you receive.

3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I'm guessing the user already has cablecards installed. In that case, the only thing they would need to do is check the channels under the channel list.

This is all that is needed 99% of the time. If you still can't tune the channels, then you may need to have your cable company re-initialize the cards.

4. MKREdit

MKREdit Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Rainwater is right you should only have to check the new channels in your channel list. It may not have program information for the new channels but it will get the info on the next daily update. (You could force the update)

Re running guided setup will force Tivo to re download and index everything again. Although not harmful you would still have to go through the channel list and check the new channels.

5. rnowicki

rnowicki Member

Apr 10, 2001
    Pasadena,...

Advertisements

Kevin,
    You definitely need to check them in the "channels I receive" section that was mentioned. Also, I'll bring this up in case you have problems seeing those channels later. A couple points...

I added channels from a "sports package". The next several times that my Series 3 rebooted I had to go back in and re-check those same channels cause the Tivo seemingly forgot they were checked after the reboot happened.

A recent case had a newly added channel "ESPN2-HD" having the same label as "ESPN-HD" and also showing the same programs on both. This took about 2-3 weeks to correct, when the Tivo finally informed me that a service change took place and I now had "ESPN2-HD". I just waited that particular snafu out because in the channel lineup it showed "ESPN-HD" for both so there was nothing that I could do really.

R