upgrading and keeping my stuff

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Norm69, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Norm69

Norm69 New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    I am about to upgrade to an HD DVR and am wondering whether, and if so how, I can transfer the recorded shows from my current TiVo to the new DVR. (Sorry I can't provide specs at the moment but I am at the office.)

Suggestions? Directions? Criticism?

Thanks.

2. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    So far the HD units don't support Multi-Room viewing or Tivo-To-Go, so a direct transfer won't work. Can you at the minimum move the shows to a PC? Then you can move them over to the new TiVo when they roll out a TTG upgrade.

It is an HD TiVo, isn't it?

3. Norm69

Norm69 New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    It's actually a DirecTV HD DVR. My current one is a DirecTV TiVo but I seem to remember that DirecTV no longer has TiVo DVRs.

Putting the shows on a PC might be an option, though. (Part of it is I can't remember exactly how many shows have the coveted "Save Until I Delete" status.) That would be done on my PC hard drive, no, rather than the PC's recording DVD drive? (Because, obviously I have the former but I do not have the latter.)

4. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I was assuming you have a Series 2 TiVo and could use TiVoToGo. I don't know what methods are available for getting programming off of the TiVo with another hardware version.