Upgrading an Edge

Discussion in 'TiVo Edge' started by tommage1, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Dec 3, 2020 #1 of 46
    tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008

Advertisements

I have a 2 tuner on the way. Was planning on upgrading it with a 14TB drive. However I did not check far enough into the process........... While the upgrade is easy enough with the Edge have to punch two holes through the label to remove the cover. Which could very easily void the warranty. Other models pretty easy to disassemble and put back together with original parts, with an Edge would end up with those two holes. Not sure if I'm going to keep the Edge or send it back, between original warranty (3 months no cost exchange, 9 months minimal fee) and the continual care (up to 5 years total with tiered exchange fees) giving ALL that up may not be wise? I'd say at minimum run it stock for the 3 month free exchange period, make sure it works fine, then maybe try upgrade?

2. Dec 4, 2020 #2 of 46
    tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Use an external drive or watch more TV.... Sorry... I never could understand why folks collect TV shows and not watch them. 14tb, is about 1700-2000 hours of HD programming.

I did the same before VOD. Deleted a very large PLEX collection last year.

Be safe....

3. Dec 5, 2020 #3 of 46
    tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Well I myself like to "collect" entire old series, many have hundreds of episodes and can take years to get them all. I usually record on two Tivos in case one fails. Though I monitor the age of the drives and would copy/replace if needed. I use all 3.5" CMR drives so could/should last 5 years or more, knock on wood. Since the future of Tivo as a company is in question I want to get as many of those series as possible, can still watch even if Tivo goes under. Yeah, I could just buy DVD/Bluray sets but not as much "fun" ;)

The Edge arrived. When first hooked up got "serious error screen of death". Came back pretty quick, then ran guided setup. It did an update, then ran guided setup again, seems ok. I will run for awhile to make sure it's working. If I do the upgrade may try to remove the sticker by heating the glue with a hairdryer, don't really want to lose up to 5 years of warranty/continual care by punching holes in it. I'm assuming the 500GB drive is CMR, I know the 2TB model uses an SMR drive but hoping small 500GB is CMR. I'd open the Edge to check model number, but I'd have to punch the holes........... Does anyone who upgraded the 2 tuner 500GB model know the model number of the 500GB drive?

mrsean likes this.
  4. Dec 5, 2020 #4 of 46
    tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Why can't use you use an external drive? Also, kinda sux when an Edge has that small of a hard drive. An actual downgrade from a Bolt.

I also purchased some complete DVD series of shows that are my favs. So, I'm not 100% done collecting. Maybe I'm just a closet collector.....

5. Dec 5, 2020 #5 of 46
    tommage1

Nov 5, 2008

Advertisements

I am/was going to use an external drive. But to do that you have to punch holes in the sticker. And could lose warranty. Unless you mean one of those Tivo brand expansion drives that hookup to the eSata port on the Tivo. That I would NEVER do, just adding another point of possible failure, if either drive fails you lose it all. One drive for me, CMR only, external or internal, internal would be very limited as very few CMR 2.5" drives.

6. Dec 7, 2020 #6 of 46
    Old Roamio 0

Old Roamio 0 Member

Jul 19, 2020
    WD used to make external drives that could attach to a tivo. I think it is 1T that I have on my Roamio. Do they now? I thought e-sata (as defined by original manufacture) was gone from tivo. Weaknees sells upgrade hard drives, but replacement hdrive for the original sata port inside and a sata to external drive cable [i guess esata] to go out thru the unused cable card slot - according to their video I think on their site.

7. Dec 7, 2020 #7 of 46
    tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Yeah, but never great to use two drives, if one fails you lose everything on both. The WDs are not longer manufactured and I think they were 1TB max. You can use eSata expansion drive with MFST but again two drives not recommended. Best thing to do is external, Sata to Sata (no Esata involved, either off the Tivo or a port on the enclosure), CMR drive, 5400RPM. Weakness upgrade will work of course, with their enclosure and their drive. But very easy to do yourself, heck with theirs you have to do most of the work anyway.

Old Roamio 0 likes this.
  8. Dec 7, 2020 #8 of 46
    Old Roamio 0

Old Roamio 0 Member

Jul 19, 2020
    Thanks. I plan to try to upgrade my new tivo Edge (antenna type). Edge I fear might be the end of the line for dvrs. Maybe Xperi the new owners of Tivo, since it has been almost 6ms in, will make more and newer models. But I somehow think for now ota receivers are not their thing.

9. Dec 7, 2020 #9 of 46
    tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    I think you are right. I doubt there can even be a replacement for the cable card Edge. They could make an ASTC 3.0 OTA DVR but doubt the market is big enough. So enjoy while you can, the antenna version should be good for at least 5 more years, IF Tivo continues to support the guide and does not go out of business completely.

Old Roamio 0 likes this.
  10. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Oh, do consider, to upgrade an Edge you have to punch holes in the sticker. Which COULD void the warranty. I myself will wait awhile before doing an upgrade, at least a few months (90 day no cost replacement). And if/when I do the upgrade I will attempt to use a hairdryer to remove the sticker without punching holes in it, I use hairdryers to remove stickers all the time, it softens the glue and makes it easy to peel off. The Tivo sticker is pretty big though.

11. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Take a picture of the sticker, print it out on a label and make sure it's the same size as the original. If you ever have to return the edge you can remove the old sticker and replace it with your printed version.

tommage1 likes this.
  12. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Interesting thought. I've never tried anything like that. Probably need a high res picture or scan and maybe a photo printer. I'll bet a print shop could do it if I can't. For sure will take a picture or make a scan before I try "peeling" it off ;)

13. David Tillman

David Tillman New Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2020
    To explain why some of us collect shows as you put it Our cable provider (SPECTRUM) only supplies monodirectional cable cards therefore you must rent one of their DVRs that has the bidirectional capability to have access to VOD. Storage is essentially cheap for thousands of hours of high quality video

14. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I think a smart phone and a home printer could do the job. No different than printing a shipping label from your home printer.

15. Old Roamio 0

Old Roamio 0 Member

Jul 19, 2020
    There is a difference experimenting with a $290 tivo vs doing the same with a formerly very very expensive Tivo unit with the added lifetime fee. Anyway, ... The fine print says the warranty is void from opening the case. It may be moot (maybe not - I don't know) wheather they recognize the label is damaged or not. It's seems to be the opening the tivo up- which you have to do if unhappy with just 500 gb.

16. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    That is true, technically opening ANY Tivo can/would void the warranty. Even Weaknees confirms that. Other models you can open, swap drives around, then if something goes wrong you can put back the original parts and no one could tell. The Edge you have to punch those two holes in the sticker. So Tivo could void the warranty. Definitely taking a chance, mine was a special, $289, not a HUGE investment. But some probably paid 600 up to $1000 for cable Edge with lifetime, would be a bit scary since things can go wrong that are NOT user fixable (HDMI port, ethernet port, tuners, flash drive, heck anything on the motherboard).

Old Roamio 0 likes this.
  17. gabrielstern

gabrielstern Member

Aug 18, 2017
    I won't buy an edge dvr and I will not buy a bolt vox anything that the software can not be downgraded from hydra back to the classic platform, so I bought a used bolt plus from Amazon and added the lifetime subscription to it instead then affixed an 8tb red drive on top not sure if that can be done with an edge though I know the stock laptop 2.5 drives with the bolts are notorious for failing as is probably the case with edge dvrs and with red drives anything over 6tb drives do not use as they were mislabeled I recomend using the western digital purple desktop sized drives and see if with the edge you can affix it on top of the edge I know with bolts it works, as do to the dimensions and the small fan in them and the bolts it gets hot inside due to the smaller exhaust fan, unlike the older tivos, I get no longer using a metal case and going with plastic instead and reducing the size length wise but they should have kept the same height size and the use of the bigger exhaust fan in the back and using desktop size drives as tivo treats all hard drives like a 5400 rpm drive, anything above that generates a lot of heat and noise.

18. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Bolt Vox can be rolled back to TE3/Classic. Except the OTA only model. Not sure what you mean about not using Red drives OVER 6TB. 8TB and up are fine, it's the 2-6TB EFAX models that are SMR and not recommended for Tivos. Purples are good ;)

7200RPM should not matter if using in an external enclosure. The possible extra heat would not matter since not inside the Tivo (and can use enclosure with a fan as I do.) MIGHT be a bit noisier.................

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  19. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Could be. Other than shipping labels are mostly white (so no ink/printing of the background) with black printing. The Edge label is gray background with white lettering. So the entire background would use ink and need to match color exactly since being used as an original. For sure I will try before doing any peeling though ;)

As-l1600.jpg

20. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    I have Spectrum and use my smart TV for VOD. I actually use the Spectrum app on my smart TV. OR save the hard drive $$ and spend $30.00 or less for a streaming device and watch VOD.

Also ZERO chance of losing your collection using VOD. Hard drive storage is living on the edge for long term savings.

Be safe.