Upgraded to TiVo Desktop 2.3a now both DVRs are acting up

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Smeep, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Smeep

Smeep New Member

Apr 11, 2006

Advertisements

That's pretty much it. I installed the latest Tivo Desktop version and suddenly the TiVo boxes randomly can't see each other over my wireless network. Sometimes they can see my laptop and sometimes they can't. Sometimes one can access Music, Photos & More, sometimes neither can. When I go to TiVo desktop to Pick Recordings to Transfer sometimes it sees one DVR and sometimes it sees neither. It's all very random. I don't know what would cause this, and the only thing I can think of that I've done recently is the upgrade.

Does anyone know how to get the DVRs back on track? Or has anyone experienced this?

2. Solver

Solver New Member

Feb 17, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    What is the signal strength of each wireless connection? What are the assigned IP addresses?
    I've seen an issue where the TiVo(s) where using DHCP and the computer was using a fixed IP. The problem was that the router one time decided to assign the same IP to a TiVo that the laptop was already using.
    The best and most reliable solution is to have everything assigned a fixed IP (in the same subnet.)
    If you still have trouble, look at the TiVo Desktop 2.3a "Read Me" file. There are instructions on how to turn on logging for all the TiVo services. This can really help in reporting problems.

3. Smeep

Smeep New Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Actually, it looks like from the 8.1 update thread on the TiVo forums, many people are experiencing these and similar random wireless network problems. Hopefully TiVo will let us go back to the previous version. I don't know why I thought it was related to Tivo Desktop, I guess that's the only thing I could think that *I* did, I wasn't thinking about what TiVo was doing on its own!