Upgraded to a Bolt what will Tivo do for me with my old Roamio?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by troasti, Nov 28, 2017.

1. troasti

troasti Member

Nov 12, 2008
    I've upgraded to the Bolt on black Friday for $99. I'm running hyrda on both it and my old Roamio and honestly not sure it was worth the upgrade. They are both on $9.99 a month plans. I use them for OTA and streaming. The only bonus for the bolt is the remote finder and its streaming capabilities which to be honest I'm not sure how much I will use. The bolt is a little snappier I must admit but not overwhelming to me. The question I have is if I decide not to return it and call Tivo about shutting down my Roamio what are they offering for lifetime deals? I remember when I did the same thing with my Premiere a while back they were offering lifetimes for old equipment for $99. Maybe it would be worth it to pay the $99 and ebay the roamio and keep the bolt if its even offered. Peoples experiences so far? Thanks!

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    As of a few hours ago TiVo was not offering any monthly to lifetime deals on Roamio boxes. Period.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    While its still subscribed on Tivo service, you should copy the shows over to the newer Tivo if any that you want to save for later. Once the subscription is lapsed, you will not be able to do it.

If you can get a lifetime sub deal, you should get it as it will add more resale value.

4. rgrounds

rgrounds Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Glendale AZ
    I bought a Romio Pro last year when Cox forced my S2's into obsolescence with their digital upgrade. I have lifetimes on 4 of my 5 S2s. They wouldn't offer me any all in or lifetime deal until I had fulfilled my one year of $14.99 a month. Then I lifetimed it on 4th of July weekend this year. Not sure what they will do since we aren't in the exact same scenario. You won't know until you call. And you might need to play CSR roulette until you get one to offer you a deal. Good Luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Well, if you're really not too interested in the Bolt's streaming capabilities you're in for a surprise... This past weekend I showed a longtime TiVo owner a trick on his Roamio - There's a little button on the front of the bezel, that when pushed, causes the remote to sing. Hit the wrong one and it'll place you in standby. Enjoy!

6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I believe you are talking about a Roamio Plus or Pro. The Original Poster has a Roamio OTA that along with the base Roamio do not have any buttons on the front and I do not believe have the remote finder function at all.

7. Dec 1, 2017 #7 of 15
    troasti

troasti Member

Nov 12, 2008
    What was the deal on lifetime they gave you?

8. Dec 1, 2017 #8 of 15
    troasti

troasti Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Yes I have the plain old Roamio which doesn't have the remote finder on it. I've had it for over 3 years. I'll try to call and pretend to cancel tonight and see what they tell me!

9. Dec 1, 2017 #9 of 15
    jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Is it cancel immediately or when the current month expires ? Will they let you uncancel ?

10. troasti

troasti Member

Nov 12, 2008
    I believe its always cancel when the month expires - They offered me $50 on a lifetime for my mini that was monthly and it was when the month expires. I have the bolt for another 18 days on a trial. I guess the CSR might call my bluff. Then I'll just say "Just kidding!" BTW I have both the bolt trial and the roamio on $10/month sub.

11. rgrounds

rgrounds Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Glendale AZ
    $199.99

I know there are different ones they offer. I have been a TiVo customer for close to 20 years for most of those years I had between 2 - 5 boxes for most of that time. I lifetimed all but one of those 5 boxes. I don't know if "loyalty" has any sort of bearing on what they offer but the CSR did comment about how long I had been a customer.

12. troasti

troasti Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Ironically that was the same price they were selling the roamio ota all in for a few days ago. You could have gotten a new one.

13. wblynch

wblynch Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Mission...
    Now and then I get an offer to move the lifetime subscription from my old Tivo HD over to a Bolt for $99. That box has been in service since 2008. So far I have resisted since the Tivo HD would be rendered useless.

I don't know if this will be repeated. Nothing has ever been offered against my 2011 Premiere.

14. Pearhead

Pearhead Zippity Do Da

Nov 26, 2005
    $199 for a Roamio OTA with lifetime!? :flushed:

That sounds incredible.

15. wblynch

wblynch Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Mission...
    A one day special. They couldn't fulfill all the orders and many of us had our order cancelled. They usually do this on Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

Ernest X Five likes this.