Upgraded to 1 TB Bolt. Netflix errors out 100% of the time. Amazon Prime works.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Sharon drasnin, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Sharon drasnin

Sharon drasnin New Member

Aug 11, 2019
    I upgraded from a Series 3 to a Bolt. Wireless connection - Comcast Motorola CableCard. So far it has been a bad out of box experience compared to when I got the Series 3 back in 2007. Netflix is erroring out (Tvq-st-103, Tvq-st-118 and UI-113 error codes). Amazon Prime on this Bolt wirelessly streams movies just fine so not a wireless set up issue. My Apple TV device wireless streams Netflix just fine (great out of box experience compared to this) and is located near the Tivo. We called Netflix customer support and they were no help. I let Tivo do the "day 1 update" after I set it up and I saw it did another update last night. Netflix customer support suggested the usual things - rebooting the Tivo, router, cable box, etc but basically won't take any responsibility to fix the issue. I tried deactivating all netflix devices. I ran all self tests (e.g. Tivo Service Connection, Internet Cnnection). One interesting thing is when I select "More Details" from the Netflix error screen, "DNS servers" parameter is listed as 127.0.0.1 (loopback) but I can't figure out a way to change it. If it is trying to use that, no wonder it is failing. Wondering if I should just return the Bolt. I dread having to call Tivo customer service and have the same experience as with Netflix - some non-technical guy reading off a sheet. I would appreciate any help you can give. I'm a fairly technical person (embedded software engineer) so I don't think there is anything I've done wrong to set this up. thanks in advance.

2. Sep 7, 2019 #2 of 14
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Did you get your issue resolved? Sorry afraid that I have a Roamio Pro here and my son has the Bolt (and we haven't had any issues with the Netflix app) so don't have any advice other than open a ticket with TiVo.

Scott

3. Sharon drasnin

Aug 11, 2019
    Thanks for asking, no resolution what so over. I opened a ticket back on 8/28. Tivo Customer support was not helpful. After I connected the Bolt directly to the router and an HDMI display, and customer support had me run the usual resets and removing/adding Netflix, they told me I had to contact Netflix (already did that), tried to say I had to contact my internet provider (Comcast) to open ports. When I said that Comcast would not know what ports to open and that was not going to help. Basically, trying to get me off the phone and not offer any helpful support. I finally told them that once they put Netflix on their box, they own it and they cannot blame somebody else (Amazon Prime runs fine on Bolt and Neflix runs fine on my Apple TV) and that I would sure to let everybody know about the lousy support. ( What about pride in your product?) They had me check the results of a Port test, which was fine. I offered to help their trouble shooting team trouble shoot, but still no help. Still no response. TIVO: if you are reading this, how do you expect to keep a customer base, if you don't have better customer support? Why have you not responded on my ticket since 9/4 after customer service said you had other customers reporting the same issue?

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
  5. Sharon drasnin

Aug 11, 2019

6. Sharon drasnin

Aug 11, 2019
    Thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestion, but it did not fix the problem (still seeing errors tvq-st-103 and tvq-st-118 errors on my Bolt when trying to start Netflix. Note I first uninstalled the Netflix app, and then followed the instructions at the other link you referenced, including putting the control in IR mode, unplugging power for 15 seconds, plugging power back in, waiting for yellow light to turn on, pressing pause for 2 seconds, entering 58, and then verifying the blinking yellow/green lights indicating that the command (58) was accepted. I also saw it saying it was downloading firmware. After it powered up, I added the Netflix app and then started it. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.
    thanks
    sharon

7. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Replace the hard drive.

8. Sharon drasnin

Aug 11, 2019
    hi. Thanks for the response. What leads you to believe this is a hard drive issue? Is there known issues causing these sorts of problems? I find it strange that Amazon Prime works for streaming movies, but Netflix does not.

9. Sharon drasnin

Aug 11, 2019
    Also, just got the phone with TiVO customer support. They made me run through the same steps over again about deleting the app, doing a service update and they said the case was closed and that they had told me to check parental controls. Yet, they haven't updated the open case I can access via my Tivo Account for over a week. The customer service guy told me disabling parental controls would definitely fix the issue. I knew it wouldn't but just logged into my router - parental controls are off, which must be the default settings since I never enabled it. Does anybody know how to escalate to the engineering team? It seems to me customer service's only job is to get me off the phone.

10. Sharon drasnin

Aug 11, 2019

11. Sharon drasnin

Aug 11, 2019
    Tivo closed my case without resolving the issue and not replying on the case. How do I escalate this case?

12. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Try some of the other KS Codes.

Also, you may want to try a C&DE...

Make a backup with KMTTG, first and the 'rebuild' is much less painful.

-KP

13. Sharon drasnin

Aug 11, 2019
    do I need to do a backup or can I do the C&DE and let the tivo restore itself?

14. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I've learned that pain is a great teacher...

Make a backup of your Season Passes and Channels and maybe even your Thumbs with KMTTG. Then, you're pretty well covered.

After that do a C&DE (if that seems like the only alternative left...).

-KP

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019 at 3:05 PM