Upgraded Tivo Roamio, can't get cablecard to pair

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by lexsar, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Apr 6, 2020 #1 of 18
    lexsar

lexsar Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Maryland
    I purchased a Tivo Roamio Plus on ebay recently. I successfully upgraded it to 8TB, thanks to the TivoCommunity forums! All seems well except that I can't seem to get Verizon to successfully pair a cablecard to this device.

When I purchased the Roamio on ebay, it came with a cable card in the box. Bonus! I thought. After adding the Roamio to my Tivo account and then upgrading to the 8TB drive, I find that Verizon cannot pair this cable card to the Roamio. Next I removed the cable card from the working TivoHD that I will be de-commissioning, and tried to have Verizon pair that one. Still cannot pair. Verizion, of course, blames Tivo and said to call Tivo Support. This Roamio out of warranty and since I replaced the drive, wouldn't have been covered anyway.

Should I just keep trying back and hope I get a Tech that can successfully pair or is there something else I can try?

2. Apr 6, 2020 #2 of 18
    keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    if anything like Spectrum support, if they cannot pair within 10 minutes either hang up and call back or ask to be transfer to someone else.

lexsar likes this.
  3. Apr 6, 2020 #3 of 18
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    They need to un-pair it from the 'old' TiVo before pairing it to the 'new' TiVo.

-KP

lexsar likes this.
  4. Apr 6, 2020 #4 of 18
    lexsar

lexsar Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Maryland
    This sounds like what may be happening, KP. I'll give that a shot next. Thanks!

kpeters59 likes this.
  5. lexsar

lexsar Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Maryland
    I made another attempt today. I had them unpair (deactivate) the CableCard on the old Tivo and re-pair in the new Tivo. Sticks at "Acquiring Channels" at 72%. It doesn't appear to be paired. If I go to the CableCard status it shows as: DL Status: IDLE Lft:0 Rcvd:0 Rate:0. I will try again later and hope for a different result

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  6. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    "Stuck at 72%" reminds me of a symptom from way back when 4 tuner devices first came online and there needed to be a Firmware Update to the CableCard.

-KP

7. lexsar

lexsar Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Maryland
    KP - would this be a specific request to Verizon to upgrade the firmware on the CableCard?

8. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Well, nobody else can do it, so I guess that's right.

Your CableCard Info Screen ought to be able to provide the CableCard Firmware that is currently running on it.

Maybe other Verizon users can provide their Firmware Levels?

-KP

9. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    Just ask Verizon to send you a new Card.

That’ll address the old device and should bond with new firmware.

lexsar likes this.
  10. lexsar

lexsar Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Maryland
    That is my next move if they can't update the firmware remotely. I would rather not go to a Verizon Customer Service location right now, if I can avoid it.

11. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    They can mail a card. Comes with easy instructions for activation. I got one a few months ago. Took about 2-3 days.

Turns out my issue went away so I just returned it.

12. lexsar

lexsar Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Maryland
    I had Verizon send me a cable card. I followed the activation instructions. Still stuck at "acquiring channel information" at 72%

13. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    How is it connected?

That error may also mean that it's just not getting the download in needs from the 'system' to proceed.

Consider moving it nearer the 'head' of your wiring to see if that doesn't kickstart it?

-KP

14. lexsar

lexsar Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Maryland
    I can connect to Tivo servers and it processes through connecting, downloading and loading just fine. I can use Tivo online and move shows to this Roamio so the network connection seems fine.

15. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    So, your internet connection is a different connection than the QAM Connection that the CableCard needs to get it's download from Verizon.

How is the coax connected?

Can you rewire it so the coax has a near direct connection back to Verizon, if it's currently not?

-KP

16. lexsar

lexsar Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Maryland
    I can move it such that there is a direct connection and see how that goes. Thanks.

kpeters59 likes this.
  17. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Si non confectus, non reficiat TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    How are the signals? I had a similar experience years ago, and it was a borderline signal (right on the edge of acceptable) causing difficulties - the Cablecard couldn't get a lock on the OOB signal to download it's update, to push the channel map, etc.

lexsar likes this.
  18. lexsar

lexsar Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Maryland
    I moved the Tivo closer to the head as KP suggested and was able to get most channels. Another chat with support and I got my premiums to show up too. Thanks all for the input!!

sakaike likes this.