upgraded router any sugestions on new usb adaptor?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ryansdadd, Mar 20, 2011.

1. ryansdadd

ryansdadd New Member

Feb 20, 2010

Advertisements

ok here is my story:(

My old linksys G router died after several faithful years and I replaced it with a Cisco Valet plus from Walmart.Setup was in fact a breeze for everything but my ol' reliable Tivo single tuner.It has a older D-Link USB adaptor that will not accept the newer WPA2 security.The routers online manual helped me lower the security back down to WEP on the router and I got it going again.:)

Is there a wireless USB N adaptor I can purchase off Ebay that will work with TiVo and accept WAP2? I know Tivo sells them but they seem very expensive.I hate to spend $80 for new router and another $80 for tivo's adaptor :eek:....

I guess it doesnt really matter but I would rather run the better security/speed if I could.

U guys have been great in the past I hope someone can help me out.
    Thank You,
    -Mike (ryansdadd)

2. mjsmith3

mjsmith3 Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Fairfield, CT
    I bought dlink dap1522s for all my tivos, which i plug in using ethernet. Works great

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The only N adapters are Ethernet-wireless bridges, including TiVo's own N adapter. Yuo will also need a USB Ethernet adapter for your Single tuner TiVo, to use such bridges.

The only straight USB wireless adapter that supports WPA, is TiVo's G adapter.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Only Tivo brand Wireless G will work on WPA1/2

The Tivo Wireless N adapter is a bridge and only work on Tivo Series 3/HD/XL Premiere.

Amazon.com has the Tivo G adapter for around $40.

The most I ever paid for the Tivo G was about $60, and I have 2 of them now.

5. ryansdadd

ryansdadd New Member

Feb 20, 2010

Advertisements

ok I will break down and buy a wireless G from TiVo, the bridge route is too expensive and seems like overkill anyway (just updates guide, -no steaming netflix videos or anything.)

I believe I would be able to set the router on mixed B, G, N signals and get speed back to laptop/ PS3.....:cool:

thanks !

mike

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Look for a used Tivo G adapter on Craigslist. I got one back in December for $25.

You might even get a deal on another TiVo with one included. If you don't want to use it, it could be a spare parts source if the right model.

Don't run B if you can help it. That'll let you run a higher level of security.

7. wesbc

wesbc Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Have you consider getting wireless routers that support bridge mode. I have to buffalo wireless N routers and they are in bridge mode so that the one in my living room connects wireless to my main one in my loft. This way I can connect my Xbox / ps3 / Tivo into one router instead of having to buy separate adapters and what not.