Upgraded Roamio in Startup loop . . Help!

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by tome_9499, Aug 21, 2015.

1. tome_9499

tome_9499 New Member

May 27, 2003

Advertisements

Hi All,

Tivo diagnosed my 2 month old roamio refurb as being stuck in a startup loop. The good news is that they will replace it for free. Woot! Now for the questions . . .

1) The support rep said that the startup loop is alway caused by a bad HDD. Is this true?

I ask because I upgraded my drive from 500 gb to 3 TB. I'd hate to think that my brand new 3 TB drive was faulty.When I removed the 3 TB drive from the roamio and put the original 500 bace in, I still got the start up loop.

2) will tivo, upon inspection of the return unit, be able to tell that I swapped the drives?

3) Is it advisable to try putting my 3 TB drive (with all of its recorded shows) into the new unit they send to me?

4) Once a unit is in loop mode, does swapping to a clean HDD make a difference?

Thanks,

Tom

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    There's no need for them to physically inspect. That information is in their logs if they check.

Sorry to say your recorded shows are gone. They are encrypted and only the TiVo that recorded them can read them.

Since putting the original drive back in didn't help, probably not.

What brand and model is the 3TB drive? Did you upgrade the power adapter?

3. philt56

philt56 Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Just added information. I bought a 2tb wd drive for my premiere and it went thru a startup loop. Returned it for another drive, same model which worked fine. Old drive had no problem when I switched it back in while waiting for the replacement.

So yes a bad drive can cause it, but may not be the only reason.

4. tome_9499

tome_9499 New Member

May 27, 2003
    I HAD A WD30EURX 3TB GREEN DRIVE INSTALLED IN MY TIVO. I did not change the power supply. When I got stuck in the boot loop I tried the original 500 GB drive. It did the same boot loop.

Is the drive fried, or can I put it into the new tivo? I'd like to use the drive, if salvageable, even if I lose my recordings.

<time passes>

I just plugged the 3 TB drive into my mac via USB. The drive is found by my mac well enough. The contents are unreadable, but that is to be expected. Given that information, can I attempt to install the drive into my new (replacement) Roamio? Should I reformat the drive before installing in Tivo, or let Tivo do it?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

Run the WD recommended diagnostics program on the drive when it is connected to a PC. That way you will know if the drive has issues or not.

6. tome_9499

tome_9499 New Member

May 27, 2003
    One last question . . . The original 500GB drive that came with my Roamio could not mount via USB on my mac. Does TiVo lock them down somehow?

7. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Unless a program was specifically written to "talk TiVo" that's to be expected.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It won't be able to "mount" to your Mac since the partitions on that drive aren't recognized by Mac OS X; however, you *should* be able to see the physical hard drive within the 'Disk Utility' utility.

The risk is all yours, but you could even wipe the hard drive while it's attached to your Mac, via 'Disk Utiility,' and then put it back into your Roamio to see if the Roamio responds any differently. Again, the risk is all yours. ;)

p.s. Regarding re-use of your 3TB hard drive in the replacement unit being shipped, see this post.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Curious... given that both drives are producing bootup loops, is it possible that you loosened any cabling inside the Roamio when you did the original upgrade?

Just to be sure, you may want to open her back up and verify that the SATA and power connectors are firmly attached to the main board.

10. tome_9499

tome_9499 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Well, I did what I should have done at the start of this debacle. Thanks for reminding me everyone! I completed a thorough scan using the WD tool on my 3 GB drive. No problems found.

The Tivo was working perfectly with the 3 GB drive for over a month until the comcast rep specifically told me to disconnect the cable card while the unit was plugged in. Are cable cards hot swappable, or should the unit be powered down when removing them? Is it possible that removing the cable card while the unit was powered caused an internal short? Anyhow, that is when the boot loop began. My poor roamio never made it back.

I'll try wiping my 3 GB drive as suggested and then using it in the new Tivo.

11. filovirus

filovirus Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Colorado
    Just curious why Comcast was supporting a perfectly working Tivo? Were you having authentication issues?

12. filovirus

filovirus Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Colorado
    Is Tivo advancing you a new Refurb Roamio? If so, did they require a credit card to secure it on? Also would be interested to know if you have any issues with the return after putting the original drive back in.

Thanks!