Upgrade TivoHD

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Soapm, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO

Advertisements

The 2TB 3 or 4 year old drive in my TivoHD is starting to fail.

Is 2Tb the largest drive I can put in a TivoHD or has someone broke the barrier to allow larger drives? I want to go with the largest drive I can when I replace this one going bad...

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    You can easily copy your existing drive to a new one up to 4TB with MFSTools 3.2. That should be enough space for any 2-tuner box, but there are some threads by jmbach that can push that limit to 6TB.

3. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Now that i've done more review I see that's my question. but maybe I should ask in that thread.

Will that process to upgrade a Premier to 6GB work on a TivoHD?

Ps... What would be the command to copy my 2TB drive to a 4TB drive? Is it the same as in the other thread?

Code:
    "mfstool copy -aiM 4000 /dev/sdX /dev/sdY" where sdX is your source drive and sdY is your target drive

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  4. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Although TiVo HDs have a 64 bit MFS, they have not supported a total recording space over 2TiB. Now this was not tested on the last OS released for the HDs so I do not know of if TiVo fixed a few more things with that release. I would be interested in your results. If the drive you use is 4TB or less, you can use the command mfstool copy -ai /dev/sdX /dev/sdY instead of the one in your post. You only use that command if the drive you are planning to use is over 4TB.

5. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO

Advertisements

I have a 3TB drive I can test on this weekend, what would be the command to copy with no recordings? If it works on the 3TB drive then I will purchase a 4TB since it should work.

6. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    mfstool copy -i /dev/sdX /dev/sdY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    This turned into a total disaster, long story short, I never got the MFSTools key to boot properly, it kept hanging recognizing the drives.

Now I can't get my video server to boot (the computer I used to try this), it doesn't seem to recognize the UEFI hard drive during boot up and keeps asking me about a shell. What a frustrating night.

PS... Now the TivoHD won't boot with the regular drive back in it, what a disaster of a night...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016