Upgrade Tivo or Switch to Cable Company DVR?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by xian, Jun 27, 2011.

1. xian

xian New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Hello all, been a while since I last posted.

I finally replaced my old CRT with a shiny new HDTV...and started watching SD video through my trusty old Series 2 Tivo.

So I'm now at a cross roads debating between the Tivo Premiere for $99 + $19/mo or getting the Cox Cable DVR from the cable company for less.

If I knew the Premiere was as nice/fast as the old S2, this would be a no brainer, but I recall reading complaints about the Tivo menu system on the new boxes, and I'm scared to make the jump.

So, for all of you with the Premiere's and unhappy with its performance, is it still better than the alternatives? (I'm a pessimist) ,)

Thanks All!

2. rogmatic

rogmatic Member

Sep 17, 2009
    It is still much better than the alternatives - it is not even close. The complaints about speed and performance of the Permiere are overstated and almost completely irrelevant if you are willing to use the standard definition menus (I am one that does not care at all about menus). You don't get on demand, but you get access to Netflix, Hulu Plus and can easily download movies from Amazon. So, there are still a lot of advantages over the cable box.

3. xian

xian New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Glad to hear its still better than the cable boxes, etc. SD/HD menu display I don't think will matter too much to me, so that might be doable then.

My mom has the DirecTV (or maybe it's Dish?) DVR and I never did enjoy using that one when I visited. It wasn't horrible by itself, but compared to the Tivo, it was :confused:

I've got all that through the TV/Bluray/Wii - so those aren't an influence one way or the other.

Oh, do the Premiere boxes have built in wifi?

4. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    My Premiere is new but I got it with 3yr warranty and lifetime instead of paying $99/yr on my HD. No way would I pay $19/mo. I expect flakiness but that is why the warranty. The 'free' set-top Comcast box provides OnDemand (albeit SD).

The cable company DVRs are improving. If they offer one for purchase, I might have not gotten another TiVo. The are low-cost devices like the Sony Media Player and Roku that give you Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, and the like. The problem I have with cable company DVRs is the rental cost. I paid over $800 in fees from 2004 to 2008 for one box and have nothing to show for it. With an old TiVo, I can donate and write it off on my taxes.

5. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    No and don't know why they don't. I recommend powerline over the wifi adapter.

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    If you pay lifetime, the Tivo *won't* necessarily cost more, amortized over your use of it for a few years.

7. Rolow

Rolow Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Peoria,AZ
    What Cox market are you in and how much do they charge for an HD DVR?

I'm in Phoenix as was being charged $22 a month before I got my Tivo HD.

8. MPclk2006

MPclk2006 New Member

Jun 22, 2011
    I rather have my premiere than the crap DVRs from companies like suddenlink or COX (arent they the same just different names in different areas?). After talking to suddenlink last week they said they are getting rid of their DVRs and switching to Tivos b/c they are better and more user friendly.

9. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Last year I tried out a cableco dvr when we got a second hdtv. OUCH.

It could do lots of things (not as much as a TiVo), but it did them poorly. It was like I was fighting with it each time I selected a show to watch with either the dvr or ondemand functions. For example, after watching a recorded show it would always drop me back to live tv, so getting back to where I was would take another four layers of menus, very s l o w menus.

After my free grace period, I dropped it like a rock for the Premiere. Never looked back.

10. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    I'm using the new FIOS dvr and like it was much as my Premiere. IT is much more responsive, has a better guide, VoD, more storage, worry-free. Not as good at playback and recording of video, but good enough. And in the long run would be more expensive compared to Premiere with lifetime.

Can't vouch for a Cox dvr.

Cable DVRs have VoD too which is a bonus.

Anyway I would look to see if your cable co is offering their DVR for free for 3-6 months etc. Take advantage of that.

Meanwhile wait for the new quad tuner Premiere to show up.

11. sbq

sbq New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    To be honest, the Premiere has been a dud for me. I can't say if it will be better than your cable DVR, but I've come close several times to getting the Comcast DVR because of problems with the Tivo. If your cable co won't make you sign a long term contract to use their DVR maybe you should try it out first to see if it's horrible or if it's decent.

No, they really, REALLY aren't overstated. I use the SD menus, and the experience has only gotten worse over the past year. The SD menu's slow down, lock up, etc. and now I have sound issues where using the FF/REW/PAUSE will cause the sound to cut out.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I know WiFi is an added cost that I don't want to pay extra for. I can use a wireless Bridge that will work better and is more versatile.

Ugh. you really don't want a Comcast DVR. I was at my parents house the other day. They did get an updated interface on their Comcast DVR recently but even with that it's still nowhere as good as the TiVo. And most importantly it it still not reliable at recording TV shows

13. crash17

crash17 New Member

Jul 11, 2011
    I have been debating the same thing and had been leaning towards TiVo because I'd rather deal with them long-term than the cable company. But my experience in the sales process has made me rethink.

I have been a TiVo customer for several years and just bought a new HDTV and was debating a Comcast DVR vs TiVo Premier XL with lifetime service. I noticed all the support issues about the Cable Card installation and the Premeir freezing and being unresponsive. But I logged in and saw that as a customer I would be getting a discount and so hesitently I decided to go with TiVo because 1) I liked the experience and am unsure I would with the Comcast DVR and 2) because they were rewarding my loyalty to the brand.

Fortunately I noticed some fine print during the checkout process mentioning something about "multi-service". This didn't sound right so I chatted with a online representative and discovered that the discount was only applicable if I continued to pay monthly for my existing TiVo box. If I hadn't been paying close attention to the fine print in the checkout process TiVo would have scammed me by offering a $200 discount on an upgrade while forcing me to pay $15.99 a month for a box I don't want to use. THAT'S WHY I'M UPGRADING IT.

Difficult to install, sporadically unavailable television, and now trying to rip you off if you don't pay close enough attention. TiVo sounds more and more like the cable companies so might as well simplify the process.

14. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    In my area Comcast charges $15 a month for their DVR. They now can be programed over the computer for recording shows and they do allow PPV and On Demand. I already had a Tivo HD but one of theirs came free with my package. I needed a 3rd HD box for another TV and it was cheaper to get a second DVR then a regular HD set top box. One advantage to the Comcast DVR is if something goes wrong they give you another one. No returning for repairs to Tivo and being with out one til the repairs are done.

15. HarryD

HarryD New Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Lehigh...
    I just made the switch after being with DirecTV for 14 years. The Premiere rocks... awesome. I had some Internet dropping but that looks as though it has been corrected w/ rel 14.8.
    I bought the Tivo for 99 bucks from BB and do the 19.95 per month. I rent the cable card from RCN for a couple of bucks per.
    I think my overall performance is much better than my HR21-700 DVR from D*... just my two pennies.
    :up:

16. Quake97

Quake97 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Southeastern PA
    I'm moving and Verizon is giving me their DVR for free for 12 months, so I will get a good idea of their DVR versus the TiVo. I'm excited to see how much progress has been made and whether 1.9 is all that it's cracked up to be.

Joe

17. johnd01

johnd01 Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Sacramento ca
    We got a package deal that included the Comcast DVR. If we did not take the DVR it would have cost us more. We bought 2 Tivo Premiers with life time. We thought we would use the Comcast DVR for VOD. We did not use the box enough to keep it active. I had Comcast turn the box back on twice before I gave up on it. As soon as the deal ran out I sent the DVR back. TIVO just works so much better and still does a lot of things the Cable co DVRs do not do.